We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Homophobic post perhaps

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Ok, I know I'm probably asking for trouble here but something I saw yesterday that really irritated both my wife and myself.

Sir Ian McKellen (an actor who I usually have respect for) was interviewed on the Andrew Marr show yesterday morning. I didn't see the entire interview but we were both incredulous at the part where he said he was off to Edinburgh to visit and talk to schools to promote homosexuality and affirm the ideal that it was ok to be gay. He said school children's jaws usually dropped when they heard that it was once possible to be jailed for being in love with someone of the same sex.

As a parent (albeit of offspring now old enough to make their own minds up) I would have been incensed if I thought that sort of message was being sent out to my family in our schools. It is bad enough that so many children's tv programmes portray this as a totally normal alternative.

I don't consider myself to be homophobic, I am opposed to gay marriage per se as I believe marriage should be reserved for the traditional male/female partnership but at the same time I know several gay people and don't have any issue with their relationships - what they do is entirely their own business. I respect them and they respect my opinion.

I just think it is entirely inappropriate that our young people from an early age appear to be having the message thrust on them that this is an entirely open acceptable norm.

Am I wrong?

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

As I said in my previous post , perhaps procreate was not the best choice of words , advancement of your genes is more accurate . So your sperm donation/ womb solution woud not work .

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

fm - you're at it again ... putting words into other people's mouths.

Give it a rest.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Humans are geared to the advancement of there own genes , and not the species . And you seem to be missing the point of my original post , I was making the point thathomosexual behaviour is abnormal , and should not be activly promoted .

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

That's it, stay in the box. Life gets very frightening when you think anywhere other than inside the box!

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

So are you saying we as a society should Actlvly promote abnormal behaviour ?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Just a thought: If Homosexuality was inherited! It would have died out 2 Million Years ago.

Homosexuality is, in my opinion, one of the vast range of Human variations that exist and no more weird than being a Ginger or a Blond!

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

As you say homosexuality is not inherited , so cannot be compared with genetic differences like hair colour , it is a learned behviour that serves no useful purpose in society .

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

It is not normal behaviour , therefore it is abnomal behaviour , if it is not learned behaviour , what is it ? It can't be inherited behaviour , otherwise , as a previous poster said , it would have died out thousands of years ago . Also you are presuming that I dislike homosexuals , just because I am trying to have an open discussion on a subject

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

nickf

"So are you saying we as a society should Actlvly promote abnormal behaviour ?"

I haven't seen anyone making that proposal, but even if they had, what has it got to do with homosexuality, which is not abnormal behaviour?

I very much doubt that anyone would want to "actively promote" homosexuality, because that would imply that it's a matter of choice whether or not a person is homosexual. That's not the case, so no amount of active promotion would have much effect. Homosexuality is not 'learnt' or acquired, it's a sexual orientation which feels perfectly natural to homosexuals.

What we, as an enlightened society, have decided is that there should be no persecution of, or discrimination against a person because of his or her sexual orientation. We were right to do so, and serving a useful purpose in society has got absolutely nothing to do with the matter.

Tell me this: Would a celibate heterosexual serve a more useful purpose in society than a celibate homosexual?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

nickf

I still cannot see your point about procreating and/or advancing your genes.

As a male, if I wished to advance my genes I find a womb and place my sperm in it, then wait for nine months. Does it matter if I were homosexual, or do you think homosexuals cannot produce their own sperm?

Similarly for a female, find a male willing to donate to you, and your genes are advanced nine months later.

QED?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...