We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Homophobic post perhaps

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Ok, I know I'm probably asking for trouble here but something I saw yesterday that really irritated both my wife and myself.

Sir Ian McKellen (an actor who I usually have respect for) was interviewed on the Andrew Marr show yesterday morning. I didn't see the entire interview but we were both incredulous at the part where he said he was off to Edinburgh to visit and talk to schools to promote homosexuality and affirm the ideal that it was ok to be gay. He said school children's jaws usually dropped when they heard that it was once possible to be jailed for being in love with someone of the same sex.

As a parent (albeit of offspring now old enough to make their own minds up) I would have been incensed if I thought that sort of message was being sent out to my family in our schools. It is bad enough that so many children's tv programmes portray this as a totally normal alternative.

I don't consider myself to be homophobic, I am opposed to gay marriage per se as I believe marriage should be reserved for the traditional male/female partnership but at the same time I know several gay people and don't have any issue with their relationships - what they do is entirely their own business. I respect them and they respect my opinion.

I just think it is entirely inappropriate that our young people from an early age appear to be having the message thrust on them that this is an entirely open acceptable norm.

Am I wrong?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I see the C of E is to permit gay bishops. Gay Bishops

Providing of course they promise to be celibate. How confusing is that. I find the whole issue of the attitude of the C of E and the RC faith , who do not even allow married priests (unless they defect from the C of E) is ridiculous in this day and age. Petty issues like this put many off religion.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Lotvic, it was not really a serious suggestion. The point I was trying to make was that if we are not homosexual ourselves can we really understand or judge those that are. I do not think we can or should do. We can all have our own opinions of course but there is no clear cut right or wrong on this issue.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... " Petty issues like this put many off religion. "

I (and many others of the 'flock') do NOT think this issue [the prospect of gay bishops] is petty, jb.

... but you're quite right in saying it will put many people off ... the word 'disgust' might better describe the unpopularity of this unnatural and 'uncelestial' proposal.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Church silly season again. These are all 'man-made' restrictions.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

bumpkin

"The point I was trying to make was that if we are not homosexual ourselves can we really understand or judge those that are."

Of course we can, in the same way that homosexuals may understand and judge heterosexuals. You talk as though homosexuals are a different race of people.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 1

I do not consider them to be a different race and am not homophobic. I have friends that are homosexual and I get on as well with them as those that are not. It just seems to me that homosexuality was not how nature planned things or none of us would be here.

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

Here's a thought and keeping things as simple as you can theoretically.

50% of the population are heterosexual and 50% are homosexual. The 50% homosexual population will die out. In the mean time the heterosexual population goes to 100% but of these 50% will be homosexual.

That's the worlds population sorted then......... :)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Al94 - your GREEN TICK has wisely been repositioned to a very sensible spot.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

And a second thought, if 100% of the population became homesexuals then the world population would die out

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

namtas, ah, but nature always seeks a balance so that would not happen.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room