We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Homophobic post perhaps

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Ok, I know I'm probably asking for trouble here but something I saw yesterday that really irritated both my wife and myself.

Sir Ian McKellen (an actor who I usually have respect for) was interviewed on the Andrew Marr show yesterday morning. I didn't see the entire interview but we were both incredulous at the part where he said he was off to Edinburgh to visit and talk to schools to promote homosexuality and affirm the ideal that it was ok to be gay. He said school children's jaws usually dropped when they heard that it was once possible to be jailed for being in love with someone of the same sex.

As a parent (albeit of offspring now old enough to make their own minds up) I would have been incensed if I thought that sort of message was being sent out to my family in our schools. It is bad enough that so many children's tv programmes portray this as a totally normal alternative.

I don't consider myself to be homophobic, I am opposed to gay marriage per se as I believe marriage should be reserved for the traditional male/female partnership but at the same time I know several gay people and don't have any issue with their relationships - what they do is entirely their own business. I respect them and they respect my opinion.

I just think it is entirely inappropriate that our young people from an early age appear to be having the message thrust on them that this is an entirely open acceptable norm.

Am I wrong?

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Same difference really

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

Al94

I disagree. An opinion is something that someone has. if you are intolerant towards a person, you are being intolerant to someone that is.

you can be intolerant of someone's opinion while still respecting who that person is.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Al94

"Same difference really"

It's not the same at all, as pavvi points out.

If someone has wildly different opinions to mine on education about homosexuality that's fine by me, but I expect them to be able to defend their point of view - I can't have much patience with someone who effectively says 'that's what I think, take it or leave it'. I certainly don't have much patience with people who accuse me of bullying them, simply because I question something they've said.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have no problems with adult same sex relationships and think most such folk are born with that propensity. However the word "Marriage" in the UK has always had the meaning of a union of a man and a woman (in religious circles - for the procreation of children). This campaign to alter the meaning of the word does upset many religious folk, be they Muslim or Christian. Civil partnerships confer the same rights, and were I in this situation I would be perfectly happy with that word, as I would if I had married outside the church to an opposite sex partner. I think a good way to resolve this issue would be to have a referendum on the issue.-Ie should the meaning of marriage (as opposed to Civil Partnership) be altered to include same sex partnerships, on not?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I think a good way to resolve this issue would be to have a referendum on the issue"

Polls have shown that there is a rising level of support for same sex marriage, and that support is across all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, socioeconomic statuses. Eleven countries now allow same-sex couples to marry, and a further twelve are currently considering introducing legislation.

I don't think we need a referendum on an issue like this; the rising tide of support is pretty obvious. I'm sure it will happen in this country by 2015. The Scottish cabinet has already announced that,following a consultation process,it will legalise religious and civil same-sex marriage.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

I don't feel a need for any kind of referendum on matters like these as these get hijacked by other agendas. We now have elected police commissioners (something I feel is not going to do anything more than politicalise something that should be apolitical and so I abstained from voting like about 80% of England and Wales) I don't want to see people divide political lines on every little thing. I don't think that having a vote on it will do anything to make people more tolerant. I suspect that the opposite will be the case.

It would get hijacked by a party with another agenda - I remember the BNP having an agenda on this before. Someone's sexual orientation is individual to them. I don't want to see reference to it in a political manifesto. Proper education should be apolitical and I think it is everyone's interest that our children are properly educated in all matters, including their personal safety, personal responsibility and respect to all other people. And yes, educated properly about their sexual behaviour and what impact that has on them and the people they interact with.

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

I would like to add to my previous post.

Should anyone have a child that says he is gay, no matter what age, please support him/her.

It may be absolutely abhorrent to you or you may welcome it with open arms.Your feelings must take second place. If the child is in the teens he is really going to be confused, the feelings he has kept fighting will be interfering with his well being, and he is more than likely being bullied or outcast at school.

I feel that the arguments and discussions this thread has produced will probably be the same in fifty years. At the end of the day parents ha've responsibilities and at times these cannot be shirked. If all parents could find it in themselves to love their child for what he is, rather than discard him because he is not what the parent wanted would it not be a better world?

I am not saying my son suffered in his case, he was always a regular, if shy, lad. Even so, the change in him after he came out was obvious, a gain in confidence.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

http://www.newstatesman.com/lifestyle/religion/2013/01/what-makes-gay-vicar-stay-church-england

Those who should learn from it will not, but you can only try.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

OK a long but interesting thread, so how many of you posting are homosexuals? Clearly not Woodchip but if there is nothing considered wrong about it, lets have a "hands up"

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

bumpkin, nah, let's not have a 'hands up', don't think that is appropriate information to ask for or post on a public forum. It is non of anyone elses' business, in the same way as: age, gender, married, single, widowed, divorced, religion, ethnic origin, which party you vote for in elections, etc etc.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

Watch new Grolsch ad that combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015