We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Homophobic post perhaps

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Ok, I know I'm probably asking for trouble here but something I saw yesterday that really irritated both my wife and myself.

Sir Ian McKellen (an actor who I usually have respect for) was interviewed on the Andrew Marr show yesterday morning. I didn't see the entire interview but we were both incredulous at the part where he said he was off to Edinburgh to visit and talk to schools to promote homosexuality and affirm the ideal that it was ok to be gay. He said school children's jaws usually dropped when they heard that it was once possible to be jailed for being in love with someone of the same sex.

As a parent (albeit of offspring now old enough to make their own minds up) I would have been incensed if I thought that sort of message was being sent out to my family in our schools. It is bad enough that so many children's tv programmes portray this as a totally normal alternative.

I don't consider myself to be homophobic, I am opposed to gay marriage per se as I believe marriage should be reserved for the traditional male/female partnership but at the same time I know several gay people and don't have any issue with their relationships - what they do is entirely their own business. I respect them and they respect my opinion.

I just think it is entirely inappropriate that our young people from an early age appear to be having the message thrust on them that this is an entirely open acceptable norm.

Am I wrong?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Fourm member

The second paragraph merely confirms what I have said. Those being taken to court and convicted remains constant, those previously dealt with by caution have dropped because of the use of restorative justice and warnings.

From the figures supplied it is not possible to draw the conclusion that children and youths are committing more or less crime than in 1995.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Maybe I can't come up with a decent argument abut this subject. But I did know that when I went to school we were not taught about the intricacies of sex. I can honestly say that I cannot remember any young girl in the school I attended getting pregnant. I can't remember any of us young lads being more than mildly interested until we reached the age of sixteen.

It is only since sex lessons were started in school that there has been a surge in teenage pregnancies. what worries me is that now they are not even teenagers. They are still just young children becoming mothers themselves. I never have agreed with teaching sex in schools and nothing will alter that opinion.

I knew a lot of you would be mildly shocked by my attitude. But I am really sick to death of the way sex is pedal-led everywhere you look. Maybe I am becoming a prude as I get older. But I think there would be less crime in this country if more important things were taught in school. There are too many do-gooders jumping on the sex bandwagon.

Sorry of you don't agree, or if I am offending anybody, but that is how I feel about it.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

P.S. I knew I should never have bothered reading this thread in the first place.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

In no disrespect to Bing.alau, in older times it wasn't that teenage pregnancies didn't happen, they were dealt with shame and hidden away. That's my point about education being important. Leave it in the shadows, and it isn't good things that hide in the shadows.

just because you don't know it's going on, doesn't mean it isn't happening. You only need to look at the Jimmy Savile situation to know where it leads.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I remember going to London as a young child with my parents & being surprised to see men dressed as women walking along the street.I asked my mother why & was pretty much ignored,my fathers response was simply "they're puffs" with nothing further to explain.As a teenager,being gay wasn't a choice I'd make as they were bullied relentlessly.The various snide comments from heterosexuals whenever they encountered gay men (backs to the wall etc) I found distasteful but did not say or do anything to reveal my distaste.I know I'm heterosexual and still feel uncomfortable in gay company so try and avoid contact with anyone openly gay.I know of women who were married,had children,got divorced and started a relationship with another woman,I also know of men who also were married,had children,divorce & start a relationship with another man.I hold no opinion on whether these same sex relationships are right or wrong,they are private & for the individuals to decide on the morals.I am astounded at some of the responses in this thread though.All because a gay man is trying to reduce the prejudice in society towards gay relationships by explaining to children that same sex relationships exist.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Bing.alau Moi Aussi!

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

The problem is that people that are very liberal and "tolerant" tend to be very intolerant toward people that don't have the same opinion as them in this issue.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

flycatcher1

Never suspected Bingalau was from Down Under,( or are we being just a little bit pretentious? ).

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Oh spider9 - very droll but mon francais ain't what it used to be .

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Pretentious moi?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite