We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Homophobic post perhaps

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Ok, I know I'm probably asking for trouble here but something I saw yesterday that really irritated both my wife and myself.

Sir Ian McKellen (an actor who I usually have respect for) was interviewed on the Andrew Marr show yesterday morning. I didn't see the entire interview but we were both incredulous at the part where he said he was off to Edinburgh to visit and talk to schools to promote homosexuality and affirm the ideal that it was ok to be gay. He said school children's jaws usually dropped when they heard that it was once possible to be jailed for being in love with someone of the same sex.

As a parent (albeit of offspring now old enough to make their own minds up) I would have been incensed if I thought that sort of message was being sent out to my family in our schools. It is bad enough that so many children's tv programmes portray this as a totally normal alternative.

I don't consider myself to be homophobic, I am opposed to gay marriage per se as I believe marriage should be reserved for the traditional male/female partnership but at the same time I know several gay people and don't have any issue with their relationships - what they do is entirely their own business. I respect them and they respect my opinion.

I just think it is entirely inappropriate that our young people from an early age appear to be having the message thrust on them that this is an entirely open acceptable norm.

Am I wrong?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

In a word yes.

Homophobia, just like racism, is fixed in people's minds at an early age, so it should be taught that there is nothing wrong with any gender orientation, or skin colour from childhood, and if that has to be in school then so be it, because it won't get taught in many homes

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You cannot change your colour but, but homosexuality is learned

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Many might disagree that homosexuality is learned but I think there is some logic in that argument. My concern is that more young people might be tempted to experiment because of the strong message they are being given that it is "ok"

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

"My concern is that more young people might be tempted to experiment because of the strong message they are being given that it is "ok"

Of course it is OK, and if you think that many young people don't experiment with their sexuality you must have led an extremely sheltered life. It's a perfectly normal part of growing up to feel an attraction to someone of the same sex at some point, and - contrary to what you seem to think -it's perfectly normal to be gay. There have been homosexuals throughout the history of mankind,and although anyone who believes that there's something inherently 'wrong' with being gay is perfectly entitled to their opinion I think it's an excellent idea for gay people to speak to adolescent school-children about it. Far too many young people go through the agony of trying to suppress their natural sexual feelings because their parents and others try to convince them that it's wrong to be a homosexual.

Your remark that "It is bad enough that so many children's tv programmes portray this as a totally normal alternative." astonishes me - of course it's a totally normal alternative.

Like this post
QuietPerson

Likes # 0

I was in San Fran with 3 other straight guys in a taxi. The driver was curious - four guys no females - i said it was illegal - then they made it legal - we have left before it becomes compulsory - he believed me - now the laugh is on me - how long will it be? Incidentally all the people that way inclined that i have met have all been very nice gentle people.

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

You say 'promote homosexuality' as if he was out to convince people to be homosexual. I'm not physiologist, but I sat in a Church of England discussion group about a paper called "Issues in human sexuality" and I was saddened by the number of of homosexuals who said they were looking to be 'cured' from their 'illness'. Homosexuality is not something that people 'suffer' from, it is something they are. Sir Ian is not going to force people to become homosexual - he is merely trying to get rid of the stigma.

Like this post
QuietPerson

Likes # 0

"of course it's a totally normal alternative"

Is it?I have seen in past post you do not like some of our English language so perhaps that's where we differ - do you know what "norm" means? With such a small (tiny) percent of the population "insert today's acceptable word" it can not be classed as "norm".

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

Is there any such thing that can be objectively called normal? I don't believe there is, as what is considered normal is subjective.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

I just don't have the words for some folk.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

QuietPerson

Homosexuality is a normal aspect of the human condition. There have been huge numbers of homosexuals throughout history, but in the past they were commonly persecuted.

Being a homosexual isn't something you choose, and it certainly isn't 'wrong'.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more