We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HM Customs and imported gifts

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

I realise that we need to be careful what is imported into this country, but was a little surprised when a package containing presents from my daughter in Oz was not only opened, but the wrapping on every gift was slit open. Oh, and some of the labels had come off as well.

I would have though an X-Ray scan would be sufficient for this sort of thing?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Yes - a fair description (without giving away what the actual gift was), and a reasonable estimate of the value. Only things like clothes, toys, costume jewellery - that sort of thing. Just felt a bit violated really!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I get a fair number of packages from Australia - mainly documents and data CDs - and have found that a few of them that haven't come via Fedex have been opened by Customs officers over the years. I'm told it is simply random checking, and to be honest I find it quite reassuring.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Just something we have to accept, I suppose.

Like this post  
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

onthelimit1. While they are opening yours they are leaving other people's alone. I think you have just been unlucky. I can remember in the fifties they opened nearly every parcel I sent home to my wife. They also opened a Parker 51 pen which I had bought years before and had sent to Canada for repair. I think it was still under guarantee. HM Customs wanted to charge me on it, thinking I had just bought it. Luckily I was able to post them copies of the receipts and guarantee.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks