We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tom Cruise plays Jack Reacher a casting oddity.

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I am all for artistic licence but I thought the author Lee Child's character Jack Reacher was 6'5" tall and weighed 17st.

Tom Cruise is 5'7" and a bit and around 12st.

A bit of a difference in size I think you will agree. Of course the ideal man to play this character would have been Clint eastward in his prime.

I am not sure I could watch the film without thinking your far to small to play this part.LOL.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I can remember when they used to stand Alan Ladd's Lady friends in a ditch so they would appear near enough the same height in films. It seems he was a right shorty.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I don't have a very high opinion of Tom Cruise's acting ability, and he certainly doesn't remotely resemble my mental picture of Jack Reacher.

I'll reserve my final judgement until after I've seen the film.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If normal people can be made to appear to be Hobbits or Dwarves, then surely he can be made to appear normal...

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I've read all the Reacher books and I must admit that Tom Cruise wasn't amongst the actors I pictured in the role, but then again I'm not aware of many actors that fit the bill, especially height wise.

Having seen the trailer though, I think he may pull it off if you forget about the physical attributes

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Who would have thought that Tony Curtis was the 'right man' for his 1968 starring role in 'The Boston Strangler'? Tom Cruise is still on a learning curve.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

"Tom Cruise is still on a learning curve."

Some learning curve.He's 49 years old and has been acting in films for 30 years. I think he's about as good as he's going to get.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE - I was just trying [in a nice way], to give Tom 'the benefit of the doubt'.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

As am I, as you would see if you read my earlier post about reserving judgement.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I've just read a review of the Jack Reacher film and it looks quite good.

Seems they've lifted some Reacher traits from the book and left others behind, thus eliminating the physical attribute problem.

Werner Herzog is apparently brilliant as the villain.

Looks like a good option over the wet xmas holidays we're going to have

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made