We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Another year is almost done...

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 1

and soon people will start heading off to spend Christmas with friends and relatives. That means it's time for me, on behalf of all of us at PCA, to wish all of you a very happy Christmas and a peaceful New Year.

We're approaching the end of our 12th year here, in the forum, and as ever I find myself wondering where all that time went. Without you all we wouldn't be here of course, and we want to thank you, yet again, for your continued help and support. Those of you who consistently offer help and advice in the various forum areas are amazing - you give freely of your time and expertise, and it's a pleasure working with you. Please keep it up - there are thousands of people out there who have reason to be grateful for what you do.

On a personal note I want to thank the small band of people who patrol the forum areas on a daily basis and notify me about spam posts. You have had a busy year, and I'm very grateful for those emails. There isn't time to acknowledge each one, and this is my chance to say a big thank you.

Our discussions in Speakers Corner don't seem to have set the world right yet, but let's keep trying. We have our ups and downs, but that's to be expected. You're a great bunch of people; please keep posting.

With our very best wishes and thanks,

FE and all at PCA

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 1

Yes, the compliments of the season to the headmaster and the team at PCA.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 1

Merry Christmas Peter, Matt, Simon and all at PCA, and to all the forum members.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Can I add my felicitations to all who inhabit this particular corner of cyberspace. Happy Christmas and wishing you all a Healthy and Peaceful New Year.

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

All the best to everyone for Christmas and the New Year.

Like this post
alB*

Likes # 0

To all at "Head Office" and forum members old and new, may you all have a peaceful Christmas and a prosperous New Year ...alB

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Before we get too carried away, just a note of caution from my bank of built in Celtic misery.

In my role as H&S Officer I carried out many Christmas Risk Assessments, using the HSE’s Five Steps as a basis, and I think in all fairness my expertise should be shared.

Hazards Manual handling injuries, those of smaller stature being at particular risk; E.Coli, from livestock, and other forms of food poisoning from offerings from the public; falls from height; Emphysema, and other bronchial risk from soot, these deposits may be carcinogenic; the noise from sleigh bells, if taken to excess, may be in excess of the first action level of 90dBa, and should be the subject of a separate noise assessment; falling objects.

Persons at Risk Father Christmas, elves, sundry helpers, members of the public

Actions to Reduce the Risks From the Identified Hazards Mechanical handling aids must be made available, including, but not restricted to, roller tracking, hoists and parcel trolleys. Those below a height of 1.2m must only move weights of less than 250g. The use of livestock for draught use in this day and age is questionable. Light vehicles, particularly electric ones, should be considered instead. If livestock is essential, hand washing facilities with hot and cold water, soap, nail brushes and anti septic gel must be available. Food and drink from uncertified sources is not permitted. There is no reason why sleighs cannot be driven at ground level, and access to premises should be through normal entry egress points. Sleigh bells should be restricted to one per sleigh, with a maximum diameter of 100mm and only one clapper. As in all cases of working at height, the use of catch netting is compulsory for protecting members of the public from falling objects.

Risk Assessment Score Likelihood - Very Likely - Factor 4, Severity - Serious Disablement, Long Term Health Effects - Factor 5 Score (Likelihood x Severity ) 20. Action Priority for scores of 12 to 23 is High, All actions to be completed within 7 days.

Though not a H&S issue, it should be borne in mind that those with unsupervised access to children’s’ bedrooms must be subject to stringent criminal record checks

As in all H&S issues, the excuse that "We have always done it this way" can be no excuse for a Happy Christmas.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

morddyd

Brilliant and I hope this is right!!

Nadolig Llawen

cc

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I have no children and I am 1.85m tall, therefore, I shall completely ignore Morddwyd's advice.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

morddwyd, you didn't by chance work for Tony Blair did you and I trust you had your yellow hi vis vest when you carried out your duties ;-)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

morddwyd

HO HO HO

To all Happy Christmas and long may the forum last

/))@@@@@('>
                      /@"@@@@@()@
                     @@()@@()@@@@
                     @@@O@@@@()@@@
                     @()@@\@@@()@@
                      @()@||@@@@@
                        @@||@@@
                          ||
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Spot the Turtle Dove :0)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...