We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Please may we have one as well

wiz-king
Resolved

Likes # 0

Adverts at the same volume as the programs.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

It's supposed to be the case already - Channel 5 and ITV have been censured for this in the past.

I can't comment on Satellite TV, as I never watch it, but I have a feeling that what the channels do now is dip the volume of the TV show slightly as it's coming up to an ad break, and so they can claim that the adverts are at the same volume as the program.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

It would certainly have my vote - another which I find extremely annoying is the 'advert' current running on BBC where lots of different sports are shown, complete with their accompanying noises, split into tiny fragments of video, which does my eyes no good, and at high volume too. I always turn off the sound and look away when this one appears.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I am in full agreement regarding volume control, because whoever came up with the idea of changing the volumes suddenly do not understand hearing aids and how some of them perform :O(

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I'm with you on this.

My wife smiles as I sit there, remote in hand, ready to douse the volume when the ad breaks come. The volume increase infuriates me - it's as if the TV companies are saying 'we're going to treat you like children, and whack up the volume, in case you miss the fact that the ads have started'.

Like this post  
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Some programs watched on Catch-up TV don't have adverts which is a Godsend and might be worth thinking about. Other programs I watch are sometimes recorded so that I can fast forward the adverts when I am watching later. But like everybody else I hate the surges in volume. I also wear a hearing aid.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Years ago when I had an Analogue Digibox it had Automatic Volume control . Useful for overloud ads but a bit annoying when it ramped up the volume on quiet bits with the accompanying increase in 'noise', and you couldn't turn it off.

I've got a feeling that my current Virgin box has an AVC option but I don't have it switched on. The really annoying thing with Virgin is the VERY LOUD trailers when you are navigating through the menus to access the Catch Up TV etc.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Analogue Digibox? Would that be analogous to a digibox?

WTM

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

I am in total agreement and thank heavens there is a mute button on the remote control!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

My TV was supposed come with "automatic volume control" needless to say it does seem to work.

I agree whole heartedly with this law and can we come up with another to limit the number of ad breaks during a program.

at present seems to be - 5 min at start, another 5 mins after 10 mins of program, 10 mins later 5 more mins of ads, one more break after 10 mins, and 5 more mins of program and an ad break leaving 2 mins to end the program.

I find watching in real time difficult as I seem to lose the plot with all the breaks , so now record the programs and use the skip button to make things easier.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

FE

Your post made me smile as I have exactly the same in our house, wife chuckling as I hover, poised with the remote. I have also noticed that the local news (Look North) programme seems to be broadcast at a higher volume to the BBC news.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer