We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Christmas television.

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

As it is little more than ten days to the festivities begin and there has been minimal previews of the Christmas television viewing. Can we assume that this year, as with the previous few years the TV channels will be showing nothing more than a diet of repeats interspersed with a rare Christmas special? And the reason that there has been little advertising of this televisual boredom is finally the channels have accepted that we are possibly not quite as thick as they usually see the viewing public and have shown much welcomed common decency by not trying to convince us that programs over the festive period will be great.

Unusual I know but possible perhaps?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I really enjoyed some late night Xmas TV, [on Christmas Night], featuring Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett ... many unseen 'Two Ronnies' sketches & off-camera 'GEMS' were shown.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... at my sister's house, I 'had to' watch a lot of dross [earlier] on Xmas day!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Over the Christmas period, television viewing as been very limited, even on Freeview and satellite. The odd repeat documentary type, that's about all. Saves on the leccy bill I suppose?.

But then again, the same rules the rest of the year!.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I have finally been convinced to sell my three TV's and watch any programs via catchup on the Pc thereby saving the license fee each year.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd

That could be a very real threat if they don't broadcast quality TV at peak holiday times when there are millions of people inside during the wettest Christmas period that I can remember.

There's a limit to how long I can watch rolling car restoration/American handyman/8 year old Top gear/etc/etc... programmes and keep sane.

Once a drift like that starts, the whole concept of BBC funding will collapse. And they are funded to entertain us are they not?

I'm already looking at the flexible options available, Netflix & Top Up TV (Sky are too inflexible to interest me in them). I think that if I start using the net to receive and a monitor to view, I'll soon change my viewing habits and be lost to terrestrial broadcasts.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Percentage of repeats and this is just the BBC.

But for me it is the whole ethos of TV today. Not only do we have far to many repeats but the fact that they seem to be in loops and never ending.

Why do broadcasters feel the need to spend up to 3 minutes informing us of what is to come in the following program and then toward the end tell us what is coming up in the next program. Though Channel 5 must take the biscuit as they will have a reminder of what happened in the previous potion of a documentary each time the is an ad break.

I appreciate with more channels to fill repeats are a fact of life, but the BBC in particular have vast archives yet it is the same programs that are repeated.

A case in point was on one day last week the channel Dave showed Top Gear's India special, if my memory serves it finished at 7PM and then one of the BBC's channels also showed the same program starting at 7PM. Are these people having a laugh.

I have been totally baffled by the point of iplayer and the like as as far as I can see most programs are repeated within days of the original showing and are then repeated several more times that year.

Yes we still get the occasional enjoyable program but they are few and far between and most programs seem to be of the soap opera format or must have some sort of celebrity no matter how minor.

It is time for the BBC to stand on it's abilities and become a commercial channel. I for one will not be renewing my license this year.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

My TV Picture is Pale is it the Old Films that have worn out?

I think they Program the Computer to play all the old stuff then go home while next year

Like this post
Algerian peter ™

Likes # 0

Plenty of sport on sky sports through the festive ho;lidays.

Watching Sunderland v spurs at moment. ;-)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

That's interesting, I went to www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one to check about the iPlayer and it says:

The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders.

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I think the words to note are "as they're being shown on TV" if you are watching via catchup,iplayer and the like you do not need a license.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert