We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Christmas television.

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

As it is little more than ten days to the festivities begin and there has been minimal previews of the Christmas television viewing. Can we assume that this year, as with the previous few years the TV channels will be showing nothing more than a diet of repeats interspersed with a rare Christmas special? And the reason that there has been little advertising of this televisual boredom is finally the channels have accepted that we are possibly not quite as thick as they usually see the viewing public and have shown much welcomed common decency by not trying to convince us that programs over the festive period will be great.

Unusual I know but possible perhaps?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The classic age of festive family TV with viewing in the 20+ millions faded away sometime in the '80s.

You can put it down to multiple TVs in houses whereby the kids watch their stuff and the adults watch theirs. We all do our own thing now, we no longer sit as a family group to watch the Two Ronnies and Morecambe & Wise Christmas specials and are no longer torn between whether to watch The Towering Inferno or Earthquake network premiers.

When there were no video recorders and only 3 channels you got the years best material offered on all 3 channels. Now we watch 57 channels and find that there is nothing on. We seem to have reaped what we have sown...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Good post - I think you've summed up the situation perfectly.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I'm looking forward to the ITV showing of Ian Rankin's Open Doors on Sunday 23rd.

It was a very good book, with a few nice twists. As it stars the ever excellent Stephen Fry, and has been endorsed by the author it should be good

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I've shaken off the addiction of television in general ... except for "Homes Under the Hammer". BUT, at this time of year, I now purchase the Radio Times Christmas Edition or whatever it's called ... to plan, in advance exactly what programmes I will not be watchin' ... usually all of 'em, but find even these tactics never work, and always toon in to the Royal Christmas Science Lectures For Young Persons or the Orchestral Concert from Vienna on New Year's Day.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Do I get a book merit FE:)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Christmas lectures and Homes under the Hammer now that's a good compilation :0)

Wonder if Martin and Lucy are doing a Christmas Special?

As for the rest don't think I'm really missing anything and if I do, I can always use the catch up TV :0)

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

The only things that I am guaranteed to watch are Doctor Who and Jools Holland's Hootenanny on New Year's Eve (which, I assume, has already been recorded).

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Christmas T.V.

Now that's a thing of the past. Same as Christmas, really, children have what they want through out the year, so the extras on the Day aren't as exiting as it was. Could be me just being miserable though.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Fortunately! Watching the television, at Christmas, is not compulsory.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I'm looking forwards to missing as much TV as I can,I have even resorted to reading to fill in the days.I will watch The Christmas Lectures if I find them on,but doubt I'll bother searching the scheduling as the one or two trails I've seen do not appear to contain anything worthwhile.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features