We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

When did The Banks become totally automated?

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

The reason I ask is that recently the HSBC bank was issued with a massive fine for money laundering. This I thought was a criminal offence yet no one was charged.

The only reason for this is that the banks now are totally automated and able to make any and all decisions as long as The Bank made a profit.

There was a local story recently concerning a guy who had a taxi company and was laundering money through it, he was charged,found guilty and sentenced to some jail time, yet not a banker was charged which can only mean their are no bankers just a large super computer making decisions.

Or perhaps there are different laws governing bankers.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

As you should well know by now, the penalty for bad banking is an increased bonus.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"Or perhaps there are different laws governing bankers."

No, they are covered by the same rules of common law exclusion as MPs and corporate executives...

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I'm not sure what being automated has to do with anything.

Sometimes I think you are deliberately obtuse. My point ,tongue in cheek, was that bankers very rarely seem to get prosecuted and this includes here in Britain. Hence automation as opposed to humans are running banks and making decisions which in effect are criminal.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I think the bank says it was done by an employee called Bart Simpson

LOL.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I thought that all transaction have to be logged to the person who made them - often by them logging on to a computer - all of my companies transactions are logged this way, which is why staff have to logout if the leave their computer and less they forget it will log them out after 10 min if they have not made a transaction in that time.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

Who gets to keep these fines anyway? At the present levels being imposed (UBS were fined $1Bn today for LIBOR fixing), perhaps we should encourage more of these wrong doings. We could get the national debt in the UK and around the world repaid in half the time. Saves us the bother of taxing them.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

QuizMan - a good idea but I think most of the fine would be used up paying for the investigation - (and the lawyers!)

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

"(and the lawyers!)"

How true!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

If I pay money to my girlfriend I log onto my online bank portal, set up a payment and transfer the money, my girlfriend then logs into her online bank portal and uses the money to pay a bill, or goes to the ATM and withdraws the money

No bank employee has been involved in the transaction at any point.

I can't see the HSBC transactions being discussed here were any different but for the number of zeroes at the end of the numbers

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I tend to find that trying to get answers from banks and banking here in the UK leads to further confusion for the average person.

Yesterday I was in my local bank, that use to have a host of staff doing various tasks, now it seems to be run on a staff of two/three part-timers at any one time. Yet instead of just taking and dispensing money like the old cashiers use to do, they are expected to answer all sorts of questions regarding purchasing other products, and trying to sort out other problems. A straight-forward banking procedure nowadays just isn't possible.

My experiences yesterday, was very similar as on previous occasions, with queues forming ten fold, and delays of twenty minutes, with some people getting obviously annoyed.

Not only was I trying to pay some money into my account, I queried a new instruction regarding payments to Barclaycard direct from a Barclays Bank account. Apparently now, if you have a Barclays account and you pay a Barclaycard statement, you have upto 6pm on payment due date to clear the debt. If you haven't paid before the due date, including 4 days in some cases, by other methods, there is a good chance that you will incur further charges for non-payment on time.

Which comes down to the original question of paying before 6pm on due date,using a Barclays account for payment to Barclaycard, and whether the payment is now instant. Apparently not, it still takes at least one day for the funds to clear, but Barclays and Barclaycard seem to give an allowance for this?.

Yet at the same time and possibly to confuse issues further, we hear of bank transactions abroad, especially in Sweden, Norway etc, that transfers are virtually instant, with the press of a few keys. I recall a few years ago, UK banking was telling the public that it would soon be happening here?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded