We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Google Maps

Al94

Likes # 0

I was in our local Apple store yesterday looking at Ipads and noticed their new mapping application which has received some criticism. However on the plus side I was very impressed with the coverage and quality of their satellite imagery which in my area was very recent (within 2 years) and covered a much larger area in greater detail.

Comparing this tonight with Google Earth and Google maps the local imagery dates back to 2001 and many areas have no detailed coverage at all.

Strikes me that Google are being left behind somewhat.

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

Apple, I believe, are in partnership with TomTom and others on this. If it is anything like my TomTom you could have some exciting excursions.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Apple Maps was terrible when it first came out with many areas without detailed coverage. It has improved though and most of UK is now fine but no street view.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Strikes me that Google are being left behind somewhat."

Google maps on my iPad is far better than the new Apple offering. I was in Provence in June/July of this year, and used my iPad to navigate from the airport to the remote farmhouse where I had to meet some people. I was amazed to find that not only did Google maps deliver me right to the front gate, but that it had a street view image of the farmhouse.

The new Apple application can't touch Google maps for detail and accuracy- at least not yet.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

It was the satellite imagery. I was referring to. 11 years ahead in my area.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Google maps native app just been announced for iSrore

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20694028

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Just don't go visiting Australia with Apple Maps as your guide!! Police warning

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

It's not all satellite imagery on Google Maps and the various other services.

As you zoom in Google maps switches to photos taken from aeroplanes, and as you can probably imagine, it's not a cheap or quick job to photograph the major populated areas of the world.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I was on the bus yesterday, the young woman sitted /seated in front had a green jacket on ...with a lined tartan-street-plan-look-pattern ... reminded me of a google maps screen ... you heard it here first.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have Apple Maps and Google Maps and for a quick check I put in a simple route on both. Apple directions were via a narrow and closed lane. Google directions were correct.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days