We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ideas for pumping out small water flooded areas. Please?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

A friend of mine has been plagued by large amounts of water in her garden over the last few months. So I have been toying with the idea of buying one of those little pumps which go on an electric drill. The idea being that with a couple of lengths of hosepipe, I could pump it away in no time for her. At present she spends an hour or so brushing it away, only for it to rain again and she has to do it all over again.

But I think I will also need a filter of some kind to fit on the end of the hose which will be submerged in the water. Does anybody know of a filter that would do the job, where I could get it etc.? Or alternatively any other ideas? Once I have it rigged up I could leave her to it. She has her own electric drill.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

A strip of plastic lawn edging, 20ft x 6ins [costing about a fiver], might help to 'corral' the water into a managable strip ... for pumping out.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

The pump RE recommends says in the description clean water so if its full of muck I don't think thats he one you want

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Kevscar1 that's why I suggested the pondvac to old Bingalau in my 10.27pm posting last night, if it tackles the black slime and gunge from the bottom of my pond it will tackle just plain dirty water easy-peasy.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"The pump RE recommends says in the description clean water so if its full of muck I don't think thats he one you want"

Quite right -my mistake, I clicked on the wrong version. This is the dirty water version of the same pump

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I used to use a Wet/Dry Vacuum Cleaner in the Coffee House. A bit like a big Henry, absolutely basic model. We used to use it when the toilets blocked (Pick Pockets empty wallets of their valuables and then stuff them down the toilet) and it couldn't care what you were pumping up!

Something along this line Not the one I had but similar

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The dirty water pump is a very good solution to the problem, we use one plus a much bigger version. Remember though that water and electricity do not mix, and you have the necessary protection device installed. You will also need the required flexible piping.

Machine Mart have a good display of products in their stores, and fairly knowledgeable staff, but if you want to go on-line, then try ToolStation or Screwfix for possible next day delivery, unless you want to visit their local stores. All three companies have stores in the Liverpool area.

I use Toolstation on a fairly regular basis, because they tend to be a little cheaper that the other two. In-store stocks might be low on some not wanted on a regular basis items, but usually obtainable next day.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Thanks for the ideas so far folks. I will check prices and see what she can afford. If I order something without permission I could be left looking for a pond to empty elsewhere. I've got a feeling that the FE's first suggestion looks the better one. Years ago I used to have a simple one that went on to an electric drill and seemed to do the couple of jobs I used it for back then. That's why it was the first thing that came to mind I suppose.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you are looking for one of those electric drill powered pumps, then try the local pond shops. Pound World seem to have them on a regular basis around our area. But you will still need to get the piping and connectors sorted out.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

pond shops = pound shops.

Looks like I have water or the thoughts of it on the brain :O(

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

spuds you don't wear drainpipe trousers by any chance? if you do, you need a tap on the elbow or start wearing pumps - sorry spuds old pal, I just couldn't resist it!! ;o}

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia