We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ideas for pumping out small water flooded areas. Please?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

A friend of mine has been plagued by large amounts of water in her garden over the last few months. So I have been toying with the idea of buying one of those little pumps which go on an electric drill. The idea being that with a couple of lengths of hosepipe, I could pump it away in no time for her. At present she spends an hour or so brushing it away, only for it to rain again and she has to do it all over again.

But I think I will also need a filter of some kind to fit on the end of the hose which will be submerged in the water. Does anybody know of a filter that would do the job, where I could get it etc.? Or alternatively any other ideas? Once I have it rigged up I could leave her to it. She has her own electric drill.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Don't waste your time with pumps that go on drills - they'll give up the ghost quite quickly.

Buy one of these and your problem is solved - safe and reliable, and will deal with the water in no time. Your friend will find it easy to use.

Like this post  
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

FE. Thanks for that, I will see what she thinks. But the water is only about five inches deep at the end of her garden where the lawn joins the paving. There is a space about ten inches wide there and about four inches deep so I would have to dig a hole (sump?) in a convenient place to put that type of pump in. The lawn itself slopes and is covered in water over an area of about 20 x 20 feet to a depth of about four inches at its deepest before it flows away down a convenient drain, but the area covered stays that way all day and night unless it is brushed away. It will soak in eventually of course but in the meantime she can't access the rest of her garden without wellies, even in the summer months. It is just a nuisance really.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

No sump necessary - the pump will work in a couple of inches of water, and has a float switch which turns it off to stop the pump running dry. You could give the supplier a call, just to check before you buy.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I think that it would make more sense to improve the drainage.

Is this all rainwater and if so, where is it coming from. Sort that out and you will not need a pump.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Sort that out and you will not need a pump."

That's the ideal of course, a few land-drains laid under the lawn, but it's much more expensive in terms of the work involved.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

There is the possibility that the drains, that are already in place, are blocked or severely restricted.

For example: should the Downpipe from the guttering be blocked, at any point, this would mean that all water coming off the roof was flowing onto the patio.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

wee eddie. I'm afraid it's the lay of the land, It needs a soakaway probably but as the FE says that is expensive and I don't think the lady could afford that. Years ago her husband could have done it but he is no longer around. I'm too old and have a spinal problem so I can't do any digging. The water doesn't threaten the house in any way but at a certain height will drain over the concrete patio area and down a proper drain, but it leaves these few inches in the low area which prevents her getting down the garden to hang out washing, or do whatever else she wants to do down there. It's just that it is a big nuisance to her with the time it takes to brush it over the concrete area and down the drain. That's why I thought of one of those little electric pumps which use a drill.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

This must have been going on since the Patio was laid?

However, you mentioned a depth of 4" and although the rain in the UK has been heavy 4" is an awful lot of water and suggests another source might be involved.

I have read carefully what you have said but, have another look at the area with a questioning mind.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"4" is an awful lot of water and suggests another source might be involved."

I very much doubt it - that quantity of water may look a lot when it's on a lawn, but it's nothing compared to the amount that can accumulate after even a slight rainfall. if the ground beneath the lawn is wet, or contains a lot of clay the water will just accumulate on the surface. A pump is the best option of land drains are out of the question.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

I used one of these click here for getting the last of the mucky water out of my Koi pond after I drained it in order to really clean it. It will do the job just fine and the excess water can be led away.

The suction hose is approx 14 feet and the discharge hose is approx 5 feet and because it is on castors it can be easily positioned in a place where the excess water can drain away . It is also light enough and when the tank is full it stops sucking, the tank empties itself and then starts sucking again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room