We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

7.5 million Non Uk born people in the UK

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

It is quite staggering that 7.5 million Non Uk born people in the UK are now staying here.

Now that is just for Wales and England and does not include Scotland.

That is more than the whole of the population of Scotland.

When do we say enough is enough,maybe when it is to late.

Most come from India and Poland with the biggest majority coming from Poland since the last census.

Is it not time that we were sending some of them back home.That in itself would create more jobs for those that were born here.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Is it not time that we were sending some of them back home."

That's against the law.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The UK as always had people arriving here, usually on an employment basis. But what I would be concerned about is the actual numbers, because it would appear that the government and its agencies do not really know. One of our local Chinese take-aways were raided a few months back, and of the eight people present, three should not have been here in the UK.

With regards to Polish worker's, again there are many generations of Polish people living in the UK (I have a number of friend's of Polish origin), and have contributed very successfully to the economy. Of the latest influx since the borders were opened, many have returned home, because their paradise wasn't to be.

My main concern is the 'criminals' who are seeking our welcome, and some of these are being caught and transported back on twice (or more) weekly special chartered aircraft, with the UK taking most of the administration funding and burden of rejecting them.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps I should have added to the above post.

Some people who arrive here,are doing a good service and in general keep themselves out of the limelight. But there is a system in this country that certain people have to register every week or so, at police stations.

In some cases, these people who have tried to stick within the law requirements, turn up to do something that they may have done for some time, like signing in. Yet are then detained at the police station, because the system wants to investigate them further, which may lead to deportation within a few day.

And then people begin to complain that these people have done a runner, and by doing so, become another lost statistic?.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Why.

Not sure if Poland is part of the EU India certainly is not.

I suppose to the answer to Why is that they must be here legally then if so maybe stop letting any more in.but I suppose that would be against the law as well.

Are we talking about UK law or European law.

Where do you draw the line which says enough is enough or can't we do that either.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Around 6 million British citizens live in other countries - perhaps those governments should say 'enough is enough'and send them all back here, so they don't steal jobs from people in those countries?

As for more jobs being created if we sent Polish people home - that's utter rubbish. If a lot of British people weren't so lazy they could be doing the jobs that the Polish people are doing, couldn't they? Most of the people who have come here - quite legally - from Poland are hard-working. Many of them have started businesses, and are contributing to our economy. There are obviously those who decided to milk our benefit system, and evade taxation, but there are huge numbers of British people doing that, too.

Our problem isn't immigrants stealing our jobs, it's British people being too lazy to work and contribute.

Like this post
QuietPerson

Likes # 0

What ever those that say more guests can stay - 4m up to 7m (75 %increase ) can not be sustained.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

Jock1e

Are you proposing to send my wife 'home'? I'll tell you now, that will cause you more problems than it is worth in your population saving idea.

Or how about my children, born to a 'foreign' mother? Can they stay?

Like this post
QuietPerson

Likes # 0

"I'll tell you now, that will cause you more problems than it is worth in your population saving idea."

I think a long time ago some one agreed with your basic comment only then it was called "appeasement"

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

QuietPerson

"I think a long time ago some one agreed with your basic comment only then it was called "appeasement"

What on earth are you talking about? if it's what I think it is you're way wide of the mark. It has no relevance whatsoever to the subject we're discussing.

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

The most succesful economies in the history of the world have been built on economic migration. Put simply, wealthy countries require people to do menial tasks. And people who are prepared to travel for work (and put up with the ignorant 'send them home' brigade) tend to be extremely motivated. These are simple economic and social facts. The rest - in my experience - tends to be bigotry. But then I have a hidden agenda: my grandfather was an illegal immigrant - it just happens that he had a white face...

(He also never passed his drivers' test, but that is another story!)

Leaving economics aside, I never understand why we don't revel in the fact that the rest of the world wants to live in Britain. What are we afraid of?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home