We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

7.5 million Non Uk born people in the UK

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

It is quite staggering that 7.5 million Non Uk born people in the UK are now staying here.

Now that is just for Wales and England and does not include Scotland.

That is more than the whole of the population of Scotland.

When do we say enough is enough,maybe when it is to late.

Most come from India and Poland with the biggest majority coming from Poland since the last census.

Is it not time that we were sending some of them back home.That in itself would create more jobs for those that were born here.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

In London alone the British born white people are in a minority and take up only Around 45% of the population.

6 million British citizens live in other countries -. You have to ask why are they moving.

I wonder how many of those used to stay in London.

Sorry OTT_B Not sure how I get myself out of this one without upsetting anyone else. I assume you are from the Uk so your wife and kids would automatically be granted UK status.I naively assume this was persons here illegally and of course it was not.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Going to close this now before I upset anyone else.But some thing to think about before I go.

[I never understand why we don't revel in the fact that the rest of the world wants to live in Britain.]

They probably will at this rate.

Like this post  
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

People want to come here because - contrary to what a lot of 'glass half empty' Brits think - the UK is perceived as being a place where the people are tolerant and friendly, and there are plenty of opportunities for people who are prepared to work hard. In lots of former British colonies there's a feeling of having a special tie with us,and young people want to come and see what it's like here.

Our country is (still) very highly regarded in many parts of the world, and rightly so,in my opinion. I've seen a lot of other countries in my time, and lived in a couple, but the UK is where my heart is. I love this country, and can't understand why so many of my fellow citizens are so eager to rubbish it at every opportunity. If they traveled around and took a look at the way things are in many other countries they would soon change their tune.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

More importantly, the census data reveals that we've lost almost half our Jedi Knights, down from around 330,000 to just over 176,000.

How will we manage when the Dark Lord returns?

Grauniad Link

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

So the only way to reduce the number of people coming here is to make the country less attractive? If they are coming here to work there must be jobs already available for them. These jobs must be the ones which our workshy natives will not do. But they are probably the ones who are doing all the complaining about the amount of immigrants arriving here. So they only have themselves to blame.

I do think however that all immigrants should have to be able to speak the language properly either when they arrive or within a time limit of about twelve months. Other ways they perhaps should be required to qualify to enter is by doing a stint in the armed forces. Anybody breaking the law of the land within five years of arrival should be sent back to where they came, even if they have since had children etc. This should be made plain to them on arrival and should also be law. In short hard working, law abiding citizens should be made welcome.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I just deleted a post that took the prize for mouth-foaming,tunnel-visioned,mean-spirited,racially-prejudiced bigotry.

I fear there would be more, were I to allow this to continue, so it's closing now.

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

With respect, Flak999, that's the point. Unless a person can trace their lineage back to the Norman Conquest (in which case they are French, BTW), they - like everyone else in this mongrel nation - have come from elsewhere.

The 'British' lifestyle you are so desperate to preserve has always developed and changed, rather like the language we speak. One of the wonderful things about Britain is that it is a composite of many different waves of immigration.(I grew up in West Yorkshire amongst people from south Asia living cheek by jowl in streets with Irish names, near Catholic and Orthodox churches and Jewish synagogues, with shops that sold Afro-Caribbean food. Now those same streets are inhabited mostly by Polish and Afghan people.) Each wave brings something new that is assimilated into our popular culture, and we move on. It is far from a perfect process, but it is what we are, and you can no more halt it that stop the waves (something King Canute was trying to demonstrate, although popular history records otherwise).

I hate to use the 'O' word, but one of the great things about the Olympics this summer was that the great heros represented all that we are. From Royals winning horse-dancing contests, through a mixed-race Yorkshire superstar such as Jess Ennis, our own African immigrant Mo Farah, to Nicola Adams: a black girl from the wrong part of Leeds who boxed her way to gold. All are British, and all represent who we are today for better or worse (and usually better).

And, honestly, I feel sorry for people who live in fear of the process of immigration and assimilation. I've met lots of them - often in their holiday homes on the Costa Del Sol!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

Come together to learn: the secrets of the best design talks, conferences and courses