We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Has the Nobel Peace prize losing its credibility?

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

2009 Barack H. Obama. Never really understood why he was awarded it.

2012 European Union (EU). This has got me completely baffled.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

EU prize,

"for six decades of peace and reconciliation,democracy and human rights".

Short answer...YES,

it seems the irony is lost on them that certain warmongers are so sufficiently versed in the practice of peace that they are more deserving than those lesser mortals whose lives are a testament to that principle.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

It lost its credibility for me when Yasser Arafat got it!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

morddwyd

To be fair it was a joint award in 1994.

Yasser Arafat, Shimon Peres, Yitzhak Rabin

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Like a lot of these type of 'awards', it starts with very good intentions, but possibly due to 'committee' thinking,which doesn't actually involve the public at selection stage, it loses all credibility and purpose after time.

Perhaps a bit like the Euro Song Contest :O)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

fourm member

In the "Israeli Settlements" thread on 4 December I suggested that your views, while diametrically opposed to mine on this issue, were at least your own, formed after consideration of all the evidence and arguments.

You might perhaps have extended me the same courtesy, rather than imply simple prejudice.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I agree the award of this specific Nobel has become rather odd in recent years. There must be a rational explanation but I fail to see it.

Perhaps it is the likes of G W Bush and A C L Blair who are prepared to bomb countries back to the dark ages who attract nomination and consideration by the Committee rather than those who attempt (often fruitlessly) to stop violence in a peaceful way.

The current award to the EU (is it really for not having a European war for seventy years?) appears most strange. Certainly various members of the EU have been involved in causing pain to many others and not preventing it being caused by warring parties. This is not my idea of what a peace prize should be given for.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

But doesn't the EU have a great Human Rights policy, something that other countries and its citizen's can only hope for?.

A peace prize selection in the making, if I ever saw one!.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

But doesn't the EU have a great Human Rights policy,

I think that depends on the context in which it is being used.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...