We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sir Patrick Moore. R.I.P.

Likes # 0

news link

An inspiration to many, including me.

Quite a character.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I think there are quite few eccentrics on this forum including myself of course. But I am not a brilliant one. I know my place, I look up to him etc... I feel a touch of the Two Ronnies coming on.

I never watched a lot of Patrick Moore's TV programs but the little I did watch I found fascinating. If I had been in to star gazing etc. I would have been watching every program.

Did I see a young good looking handsome fella on TV recently, doing a few programs about space and the stars etc.? He seemed to be making it interesting too. But space programs are too deep for me. I get the feeling I could get hooked on a hobby I can't afford.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

"But space programs are too deep for me."

I refuse to believe that. The universe is pretty simple on one level, and 'The sky at night' certainly put it across well.

On another level the universe is so complex that it's too deep for everyone; you're in good company in that respect.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

When I was very young (about eight) and gazed up at the night winter's clear sky full of sparkling little lights [the stars], I used to think they were 'pin-holes' in a veil of blackness ... like when you hold up a tea-biscuit to the light and observe the points of light emanating from the 'beyond' ... before it's dunked into your tea or coffee.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

"The universe is pretty simple on one level"

Just can't get my head around the idea of it going on forever. Surely there must be a boundary somewhere and if so what's on the other side?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I know it's silly, but when I pick up and read one of his astronomical books ... I hear his voice at every word and sentence. Heavens above!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...