We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sir Patrick Moore. R.I.P.

Likes # 0

news link

An inspiration to many, including me.

Quite a character.

Like this post

Likes # 0

I was sad to learn that, I always enjoyed watching prog 'The Sky At Night' and thought him a great personality.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Certainly a character and a self taught man will be missed by many

RIP.

Like this post

Likes # 0

He probably knew his stars and planets, and was well respected in his field, but he could be a little cantankerous in later life.

A long story :o(

Like this post

Likes # 0

Wasn't so well respected when he worked in the Armagh Planetarium and left the city in rather a hurry.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

'but he could be a little cantankerous in later life.'

...and some!

In dealings I had with him I found him to be a particularly nasty and obnoxious man.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I thought he was quite good on that instrument he played with the little hammers though.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Very sad news.

Mind you I had noticed in the last few episodes of the 'Sky at night' that he had not been presenting as much as recent years and other presenters were doing much of the talking probably because of his failing health.

Still he was a legend in my eyes.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Goodbye Patrick ... R.I.P. I'll miss you appearing on The Sky At Night. That's all Folks.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I don't know if Sir Patrick was ever on Radio 4's Desert Island Discs, but his 'luxury item' probably would have been an orbitting Hubble Telescope or an all-weather xylophone, methinks ;o]

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Patrick Moore was certainly a wonderful TV presenter, and a real expert in the field. Like a lot of very clever people he sometimes lost patience with those around him - he couldn't stand what he called 'ditherers', for instance, and that led to some people calling him 'unpleasant'. The majority of those who came into contact with him didn't feel that way however. I was once in the same room as him very briefly, in the course of my work, and found him fascinating and courteous.

He was an eccentric, and there aren't enough of those amongst us, now that we've set about eradicating eccentricity from our society.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more