We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Teacher tells pupils santa does not exist - then apologises.

woody

Likes # 0

How can any one spoil this for children - especially from one in the teaching profession?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Whoever posted 'Yes, I do.' I recommend you think about that a little more."

It was me, and I don't need to think about it for a second more, thanks.

Generations of children have loved believing in Santa Claus - it's on of the delightful and harmless myths that has made childhood special. That a teacher was unable to use her brain and come up with a suitably evasive answer is a shame. Children have their moment of disillusionment soon enough, without mean-spirited teachers hastening the process, and as far as I'm aware nobody has ever had their lives blighted because they believed in Santa for a few brief years.

We can do without life being a featureless plain of relentless, stark reality, populated by people who are so devoid of imagination they regard things like the Santa Claus myth as something to be eradicated, because to perpetuate it means 'lying' to children. I find that attitude pathetic in the extreme, and I thank my lucky stars that there are still enough people with a little of the dreamer about them to continue to perpetuate the story.

I can't wait to watch 'Polar Express' with my young nephews on Christmas morning - it's a regular feature of my Christmas, as are the phone calls I make to them, and to the five children of our friends when I impersonate Santa on Christmas Eve. They love it, and I love it, and I have every intention of continuing as long as I'm asked.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

A Lie is a Lie no mater how you paint it. Jesus said Satan is the Father of the Lie.

So I leave you to think on who you serve by the above

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps going off subject slightly about the reality of Santa or Noel?.

Our local newspaper did a scoring list the other day for the Santa's at the various stores and other outlets in and around the city and county. Looking at some of the prices being charged, and what the kid's are being offered or get, as certainly changed it into a very serious commercial venture for some stores.

When I worked for the police force, we use to have a bobby who use to do his Santa rounds at the local school's and community centres, and he was very well received by the kid's and parent's. It was a yearly tradition over many years, with most of the gifts being provided by the aid of the community on the whole.

Alas this year, its not to be so, because 'Santa Eddy' as now retired from the force this year, and nobody wants to take on his Santa role.

Times must be getting hard or bad?.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

woodchip

"Jesus said Satan is the Father of the Lie. So I leave you to think on who you serve by the above"

Jesus could say what he likes - Satan is a myth too, so I leave you to think on how to stop perpetuating that one before you set about criticising others.

As for lies being lies,no matter how you paint it, that's a gross over-simplification. Many lies are told out of kindness and consideration for the feelings of others, and when they are they have nothing whatever to do with Jesus or Satan - they spring from the very human desire to be kind, and to protect others from distress and/or disillusionment.

Any form of religious teaching which says it's wrong in certain circumstances to lie to young children (for instance) who are going to die from a terminal illness because "a lie is a lie", and you serve Satan by telling it, isn't worth wasting any time on.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I believe only in the Flying Spaghetti Monster!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

spuds

A visit to Santa in Hamleys is £45, for that you get an hour in his presence, plus a gift.

On the other hand, it's free to see Santa at Harrods, you still get a gift as well...

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

What would the teacher have answered to the question "Does God exist"?. I am sure he would have found a way that does not involve a direct yes or no answer, as he sould have done in this case. Many children love the fantasy of Father Christms, or Sinta Claus (in Holland etc) and who are we to spoil it too soon?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

alan14

Not at the £45 rate, but more like £10 for a quick chat and rubbishy gift. They are even charging parent's an entrance fee for being in attendance with their kid's.

What would Santa do for an hour though?.

Which brings me to a story or incident that happened in one of our local grotto's about three years ago. A child with mother was entertained by a Santa, and when the child left the grotto, they asked the mother, why had Santa put his hand in mummy's bag. That led to an arrest and conviction for Santa!.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Perhaps "Does God exist" might not and possibly does not apply to anyone studying the Koran.

The Christian church use to have a rather large gathering, but alas no longer.

I believe Santa was formed on the Christian Faith, but I could be wrong!.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK