We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Nurse that took the Hoax call from Australia is found dead.

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

The Nurse that took the Hoax call from Australia is found dead.

It is not known how she died yet but if it was due to the hoax call from 2 Australian D js they have a lot to answer to.

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

Alan14

I thought that the royal family would of had her calls vetted by the royal protection squad or something along those lines. To be honest I am a bit surprised that it is not common practice for this sort of thing.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I agree with Mr Mistoffelees. Knee-jerk reactions calling for the ban of 'Wind Ups' or Prank Calls are uncalled for.

The police have said the tragic death of the nurse is 'unexplained'.

No one knows what tomorrow may bring.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

In Scotland there is a very famous DJ who has entertained many thousands of listeners for about ten years with his 'Wind Ups'. All of his prank calls have been requested and 'set up' by relatives or friends of 'the victim' and after a couple of minutes of 'torture', the DJ eventually reveals who has set them up ... it's great fun.I really love a good 'Wind Up' 'specially when it's me who falls for it.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

This is a tragic story and just shows how what some think of as innocent pranks have such dire consequences. I like to think that I have a good sense of humour, but I have always abhored media programmes and stunts that prey on unsuspecting victims. This goes back to Candid Camera,later You've Been Framed, more recently Fonejacker and others of a similar ilk. I squirm whenever I think of them.

I know others will think of them as mere entertainment, but I don't.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

What is fun for some is tragedy for others.

Not illegal they say

Just wondering what our law would say.I would think that impersonating someone to gain private information would not be legal.

Could they be prosecuted and would the Uk government sanction it.It would be worth while even if we did not win as it may deter others from doing the same.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Advertisers are pulling out.

So they must think also that what happened was not correct and they want to distance themselves from the Radio Station.

Maybe it is time for for a new law to come out that anyone making hoax call would be prosecuted.Maybe there is already a law in place that covers that I don't know.

This has also happened before by TV and Radio presenters in the UK so maybe a time for them to grow up and face the cosequences.

I know that it was done for fun and maybe there is not enough of that in the world today,But when fun turns to Tragedy it is time to put a halt to it.

Our thoughts go out to Jacintha Saldanha's family and friends especially so at this time of year.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"Advertisers are pulling out."

That will have far more effect, in far more countries than Australia, than any law change will ever make.

Like this post

Likes # 0

"Just wondering what our law would say" - there was something I heard on the radio this morning that indicated this sort of thing is illegal if it is in respect of current affairs/economic matters. I suppose that means it is now a question of whether the phone call was for "entertainment purposes" only.

But where does that leave us when newspapers or TV make secret recordings of dodgy deals posing as Middle Eastern oil sheiks, for example?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

"There is no 'public interest' in knowing that a young woman is throwing up even though some of the public find it interesting"

You have to be kidding - there is a huge public appetite for anything to do with the royal family. An appetite that many red tops are only too willing to sate.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Sorry - it has been difficult to follow threads after reading the posts again i now follow your point. So whilst what i said is true it is not relevant to your context.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer