We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is it possible to be more stupid? Well is it?

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Yesterday I decided to wall mount a 6 gang extension lead in the bedroom. I removed the plugs which were inserted and unscrewed the face plate so I could mark the screw hole. Can you figure out what I missed, a pretty essential step I think you will find. Yep, I did not remove the extension lead plug from the wall socket.

So it came as no surprise when I got an electric shock,thats a lie because it did come as a surprise.LOL. Oddly though it was not particularly painful and I am sure I remember electric shocks being painful. Perhaps pain lessens in response to the stupidity involved.

So guys this is my story of stupidity Tell me yours

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I think most of has done that at one time or another.

You know the old saying Theirs no fool like an

An excuse for me I did it when I was a lot younger but I learned from my mistake.

Now my Dog tried it when he bit through the live cable to the TV I believe he could have won they greyhound derby the speed that it was running round our living room.

And you have guessed it he never did it again.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

As a young apprentice engineer, I was taught to always hit downwards, with the lead lump hammers we used, to tighten a machine vice.... good advice indeed.... which of course I ignored at 17 years old. These lead hammers weighed about 6lbs, I found out why the advice was so good when I struck upwards to loosen the vice, glanced off the vice handle and bashed myself in the mouth. Luckily for me, once the stars had subsided, I hadn't damaged myself other than my pride.

The 2nd daft thing about it was I still remember my thought process at the time

1. Bash.... what the @#*% happened?
  2. Did anyone see me?????
Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I tried to run a lump of US army radio equipment via an auto transformer but got the wrong winding and put it 110 volts above earth. It worked OK and all was fine until I touched the chassis!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I now and again (about every 18 months-ish) put the ground coffee into the coffee maker and find I've forgotten to put the water in, and as I'm then in a rush I put the water in forgetting that the heater element is now hot. As the cold water is poured in it instantly turns to steam and rushes out onto the dry ground coffee. Result - the kitchen is covered with the dry ground coffee.

It's a bit like when we used to lock cars doors without the key by pressing the button and holding the latch up while you closed it, the door is almost shut when you see the keys in the ignition, but for some reason you just can't cancel the command that's been sent from your brain!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

the door is almost shut when you see the keys in the ignition, but for some reason you just can't cancel the command that's been sent from your brain!

LOL. Been there.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Another one of my stupidities - many years ago when I was but a yoof - the mains lead on one of my radios was too long and kept falling on the floor so I shortened it, next time I put the radio on it buzzed and the valves glowed white hot then it died. --- Note to self dont shorten resistive line cords!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I used to work for a PC builder, and we'd just got one of the spanking new Intel P4 Extreme chips in for testing, they cost almost a grand each at the time.

They had a very fiddly heat sink which were an absolute bugger to fasten & unfasten, and I was only running a quick test to measure its clock rate, so I thought "I know, just smear on the thermal paste, and hold the heatsink in place"

Not my best ever plan as the very expensive CPU burnt out as it hit 150°C in milliseconds.

Luckily I was the first person to handle the chip, so nobody had seen it working, and they believed me when I said it had never worked...

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Or turning up for work an hour early because I forgot to turn the clock back or forward, still haven't worked it out.

Gave my brother in law[who was an electrical engineer in the navy]a loan of my brand new electric air pump and he connected them the wrong way round so with a pop and a puff of smoke the brand new air pump was no more.

They train them well in the Navy then.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

Many years ago,as a 'greasy teen',i owned a GT250 Suzuki with Micron exhausts which needed cleaning and was told of one method of doing so,pour a small amount of petrol down both as they stood erect against a wall and then drop a match down,the resulting explosion would clear the deposits away from inside.

Good idea ,i said,off i went and did as suggested but instead of standing to one side i stood in front,the result was superficial burns to my face, luckily i wear glasses.

On hearing my scream and the 'bang' my brother ran out and dragged me inside the house to stuff my head under the tap whereon i proceeded to drown until he realised.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

So very nearly Chronos the Expired!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more