We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is it possible to be more stupid? Well is it?

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Yesterday I decided to wall mount a 6 gang extension lead in the bedroom. I removed the plugs which were inserted and unscrewed the face plate so I could mark the screw hole. Can you figure out what I missed, a pretty essential step I think you will find. Yep, I did not remove the extension lead plug from the wall socket.

So it came as no surprise when I got an electric shock,thats a lie because it did come as a surprise.LOL. Oddly though it was not particularly painful and I am sure I remember electric shocks being painful. Perhaps pain lessens in response to the stupidity involved.

So guys this is my story of stupidity Tell me yours

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

After being on motorbikes for a few years I had to use my pedal bike to get some spares from the local bike shop during a repair job. I left my pedal bike on its stand outside the shop, when I left the shop I sat on my pedal bike, kicked up the stand and attempted to pull off by rotating the right hand handle bar grip (throttle).

Having fell flat on my side the guys in the bike shop were in tears of laughter.

When I became a car driver I once couldn’t work out what was wrong when the car wouldn’t move while trying to pull off. Worked OK after turning the ignition on!

I later had problems (in the dark) trying to find the slot for the ignition key until I noticed I was on the passenger side.

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

Didn't we all do daft things in the services, like fitting the top cap on a transceiver output valve at the same time as switching it on with the other hand...only 300 volts I believe...

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Years ago my son-in-law bought an Amstrad Computer in the States. Well it was over 25 years ago. On return to the UK he was very unhappy about plugging 240 volts in. Amstrad sent a very pleasant black engineer round and he was unhappy as well. He had a Senior Engineer on the'phone and was assured that it was OK to go ahead. He did.

One I have never seen such a blinding flash. Two I have never seen a human move so fast. Three The face of the enginner went a whitish colour.

The techie was great and Amstrad paid for the extensive repair.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I once ate two thick gammon steaks ... one after the other ... in two bread rolls. I hadn't realized that they were raw and should have been cooked under a medium grill for twenty minutes [turning occasionally].It did cross my mind at the time, that they were a bit chewwy!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

When I was about 12 I had a tropical fish tank. In those days the thermostat was housed in a "test tube" with the main lead threaded though a rubber bung and it sat in a corner of the tank. I wanted to adjust the temperature, but forgot to turn it off at the mains. Hands in water, I got quite a shock.(no MCB's in those days and a 13 amp fuse.)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Hold the lightly warmed plates with the oven glove, tilt the just out of the oven at Mark 7 casserole with the bare other hand.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Stupid things done in the services? Where do I start?

Hands up anyone else who didnt have a firm grip on the gas plug of their SLR as they rotated it 90 degrees, only to have it fly off almost faster than the eye can see. (for those who dont know, there's a thumping great spring behind them).

First time in an NBC suit practicing decontamination in a small room filled with CS gas, removing your respirator while keeping eyes tightly shut, then dropping your fullers earth AND said respirator.

Believing liquid oxygen will really bring out the shine on your best shoes!

And more recently

Being so bone numbingly tired at the end of a shift that when I jumped out of the cab to drop the trailer, the first thing I did was pull the handle to release the pin on the trailer (Should be the last thing, not the first). Stared in dismay and disbelief for about a second as the whole 30 ton trailer slowly slid off the back of my tractor unit. Thats when the stupids kicked in and I grabbed hold of it and tried to stop it!

WTM

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Making a tea and a coffee this morning, I ended up putting the tea bag and the instant coffee in the same cup and was stirring away merrily when I realised what I had done. Mind you I do make the same silly mistake, more or less once every six months or so. Last time I poured the cold milk on to the instant coffee and filled the cup to the brim. I have a good excuse though, I'm not properly awake.

I can't remember ever making a mistake whilst in the services though. Oh yes I once planned and with the aid of others of the same ilk, we managed to get the CO's car on top of a flat roofed hut. Mind you he twigged straight away who it was wot dun it. My mistake then was not realising how well he knew me. (For the information of jb it was Pug's car).

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

One From me not long after I got married, Working down Pit gets up around 4am to go on day shift, I had a old Ford V8 32hp only a 6volt battery in winter but no snow only very cold at the time, was a very good starter though only 6volts battery, but as it was a cold morning I thought I better use the starting handle, it was a old army lorry crash gearbox that I had fitted in it and I had left it in first crawler Gear without thinking I turned Ignition on then went to front, one turn of the handle and it started, Only just jumped clear in time as it hit a 6ins square concrete gate post still ticking over and wheels still churning, guess what it did waken me up.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Kitchen sink drain leaking slightly into the unit. So made sure taps closed off properly and put plastic tub underneath to catch the water when removing the trap. Removed the trap and the drain unit. Cleaned the drain up and replaced the putty with fresh stuff, replaced the drain and tightened up removing excess putty . Nice job, took the tub out (containing the water trap) from underneath and poured the dirty water down the sink.....

I'm ashamed to say that I've done it more than once over the years.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September