We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Getting Over a Cold

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Had a cold last week, my first for four or five years. Nothing dramatic, just the usual snuffles and sneezes which clears up in a week if you treat it but lasts seven days if you don;t.

What I have noticed though, and it has quite surprised me, is how low it has taken me.

Total lack of energy, fall asleep virtually every time I sit and relax, and can't wait to get back into bed of an evening.

I guess bouncing back gets a bit harder every time, and I haven't had to do it for a while!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

It might be a seasonal thing ... like that SAD syndrome that affects some people this time of year, over and above your body's own natural defences automatically 'kicking in' which 'tell' you to slow down and take it easy.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

morddwyd, it's called getting old, having said that I am still a young un and have a lot of catching up to do ;o}

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"There's no such thing as a cold."

That remeinds me of a favourite teachers phrase when I was at school, "there's no such thing as forgot"...

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Gets us all as we get a bit older I'm afraid.

While I don't reject modern medicine I also believe that you sometimes need a bit of assistance from more alternative solutions. Colds can leave you short of some nutrients which you lose in the nasal secretions when you have a cold. One of these is often a shortage of Zinc, which can easily be replaced with readily available supplements. Plain Zinc tablets from your health food store may help. If you suck one and it tastes pretty awful it is often an indication that you are short of Zinc. They are also good for sore throats as they are supposed to kill of the bugs that cause them.

FE

I'm not offering medical advice, just saying what I've found useful myself.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice.

I've been taking a zinc supplement, on medical advice, for years.

Perhaps I need an iron tonic.

Maybe a can of Mackesons every night (remember when they used to bring you a nightly bottle in hospital, for that very reason?)!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Get Prepared!

I don't know about anywhere else, but our local hospital's are already sending out warnings, especially to older folk, about bed shortages and having to cancel surgical and medical appointments, due to the increase of 'cold' related and wet and icy conditions, which as started to put pressure on the services.

The lady (90+) next door to me as been ill in bed for the past week, but luckily she as family and friend's around 24/7 to help and assist. So far she as refused to bring in the GP. But I wonder how many lonely people are out there, perhaps needing help, and not wanting to be a burden on society?.

Visiting my local GP and Tesco's yesterday, brought some warning signs. The local Tesco were having delivery problems on some major items, and the GP waiting room was still full at noon, when normally it would have been empty or down to the very last patient.

Perhaps in morddwyd's condition, a hot rum toddy or a glass of brandy might be an healer. It use to be for me and my chums :O)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Maybe a can of Mackesons every night (remember when they used to bring you a nightly bottle in hospital, for that very reason?)!"

It actually started with Guinness - it was distributed,free,on the National health to all patients who wanted it,and were OK to have it medically, and of age. "Guinness is good for you" was a familiar advertising slogan. The 'goodness' was a dubious claim - Guinness is made from water,barley, brewers' yeast, and hops - but it does contain antioxidants, which are beneficial in slowing the rate of cholesterol deposits in arteries. It's possible that people felt better because the original Guinness had a higher specific gravity than today's version.

I worked for Whitbread - who made Mackeson - for quite a few years, and they developed the 'Looks good, tastes good,and by golly it does you good' slogan for it in the late 1960s. You wouldn't get away with that kind of advertising today.

I wasn't aware that Mackeson was ever distributed to patients in hospitals - you learn something every day.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

fourm member

"being sent to knock up the man in the corner shop. He was surprisingly good natured about it".

That's called community spirit, when most people helped each other.

Nowadays we have the 24 hour self-serve supermarket!.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Ah - but will your supermarket sell you just one bottle!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

wiz-king

I doubt it, unless it was on the reduced or clearance rack.

I recall the days when it was the usual, to call at the corner shop with the quart or bigger jug for a drop of local brewed good stuff from the barrel. I doubt if supermarkets offer that personal service as well, with clubcard points attached!.

Don't know what it was, but writing the above made me think of 'mothers' in the malt vinegar. For those not sure of what 'mothers' are, they were the little flaky bits that appeared in old stock.

Perhaps that's a cure for a cold, malt vinegar with 'mothers'. I notice red wine is coming back into the news as a "Can Help Stop Cancer", if the scientists at the University of Leicester are correct.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...