We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Gas Boiler annual service

Graham*

Likes # 0

I have my boiler serviced once a year as part of a maintenance program with my fuel company. It took a few phone calls to get an appointment this year, new company taken over to do the contract had lost all the records, apparently.

When the man came, he 1)measured a pressure and 2)held a gas tester in the exhaust fumes. That was it. Total time 10 minutes.

I've now seen an ad for another company who offer new clients a free boiler service worth £99.99. I hope theirs takes longer than mine did.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

al's left peg as brought a good point to the thread, and that is the issue of failure on the part of combi boilers.

My local council started an exercise about 3/4 years ago of installing combi boilers in most of their properties. I notice over recent weeks, some of these boilers are beginning to fail, and the council, or at least their contractor's are having to replace the boilers and adjoining pipework completely. I know there might be a "we installed a thousand units, and only 10/50 might have failed in the 3/4 years fitted". But does this indicate that combi boilers are perhaps made as short term throw-away commodities?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Would perhaps add, when my boiler had the recent fan problem, I contacted the manufacturer (Glow-Worm) about parts, because the unit was over 8 years old. They informed that the unit was now discontinued, but spares were readily available, and would be for the foreseeable future!.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There is confusion between combi boilers and condensing boilers. All new boilers, except in some special circumstances, have to be condensing boilers. I have found that you get what you pay for. A good combi boiler can be as reliable as a standard boiler. However in many rented houses the cheap option is chosen and these can have a higher failure rate. If you look at the price of a good combi boiler then they are not short term throw away items. Where some people fail is that they do not install a high enough rated boiler and therefore complain about the heat or rate of hot water.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Where some people fail is that they do not install a high enough rated boiler and therefore complain about the heat or rate of hot water.

If you are replacing then surely that would require a direct size replacement?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

namtas - what I am referring to is when people replace an old conventional boiler with a combi.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Condensing Boilers

British Gas engineer on BBC breakfast this morning stressing the need to insulate the condensate drain to avoid freezing in the cold weather. This rarely seems to be done as a routine when installing these boilers and is the cause of many a call out. Seems to me that as these boilers are now mostly the required type this problem should be addressed. Three of my neighbours have had this problem with boilers installed over the last few years.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

BT - I have had a frozen condensate pipe but this was because the fitter did not put sufficient fall on a stretch of it. If the pipe is of the correct diameter and the fall is adequate then it shouldn't freeze. However if it is really exposed then trace heating can be fitted to the pipe.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

BT - Re Condensing Boilers condensate drain

The fitter has, in the past incorrectly fitted a small bore condensate drain pipe because it's easier to drill a 15mm hole through a cavity wall than it is to drill a hole for a 25mm drain.

Don't know if they still do this but it's fundamentally wrong.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

`lotvic I am beginning to change my opinion about British Gas. We found water below our new boiler and called BG. First appointment Friday am, complained so it is now Thursday am.

Meanwhile we had found the fault ourselves. After the boiler was installed I boxed in the various pipes, when I removed the covers we saw that the leak is from the connection of a fairly narrow pipe into the insulated pipe that goes through my 22 inch wall and thence to a nearby drain.

The outside pipe is well insulated and has a good drop but the engineer did not bore the hole through the wall at an angle. Thus some water flows out but some leaks, the bottom board of my boxing was half an inch thick and was sodden. Now we have a plastic container catching the water.

I have been looking for further info re my boiler and find that some engineers give it a very bad name and say that it suffers from low temperature water output. I imagine that is why we are having trouble heating our houses.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

flycatcher1

I don't know about your local council, but ours have contacts for 'energy advice' on heating and possible installation. Perhaps worth contacting them, and see if your energy requirements are up to specification.

Going on the remark about Friday now Thursday appointment, there doesn't appear to be much urgency on the the part of British Gas. When I had my recent problem, the local lad arrived within three hours on Saturday 'between'jobs to see what the problem was. The problem rectified itself before he called, so he left with the proviso that I contact him again if the problem returned.

The problem returned on late Sunday evening when we had gone to bed, Monday lunchtime he ordered the part, Tuesday the part was collected and fitted and all as been well. This is a one man business, doing all types of home maintenance, so his work schedules are running at top level. British Gas on the other hand seem to suggest that they have a vast network of engineers available, yet at the same time, they had a parts department in the city I live, which as since been closed down.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...