We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Gas Boiler annual service

Graham*

Likes # 0

I have my boiler serviced once a year as part of a maintenance program with my fuel company. It took a few phone calls to get an appointment this year, new company taken over to do the contract had lost all the records, apparently.

When the man came, he 1)measured a pressure and 2)held a gas tester in the exhaust fumes. That was it. Total time 10 minutes.

I've now seen an ad for another company who offer new clients a free boiler service worth £99.99. I hope theirs takes longer than mine did.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

That doesn't sound too good, we have a local guy in and he strips the boiler down and puts it all back together, it takes him a good hour.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

Oh, and he isn't as expensive as that either, he used to service our old boiler for 20 years and he services our new one now.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"he strips the boiler down and puts it all back together, it takes him a good hour."

It all depends on the type of boiler, but with a modern Combi boiler that kind of thing is totally unnecessary for an annual service.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Over the years we have had good service from British Gas' A bit expensive but well worth while.

However we had a new boiler installed in the summer to replace our over thirty year old Potterton Netaheat 16-22 and the new Worcester Bosch, although it, theoretically, produces more output, in practice the house is colder.

Investigations continue including the fact that, apparently, we are not getting the expected savings but this may be explained by variable weather conditions.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

flycatcher1, that's interesting, I'm having same, ie house is colder. I've had to up the room thermostat (on wall in hall) since new Worcester Bosch (not a Combi) was installed 3 yrs ago so now am using more gas than before. Also have had to have 3 way port replaced... let me see, yep I'm on number three so that makes a new one every year.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Graham

You didn't have an 'annual service' it was just a 'gas safe check', two total different things. The reason I assume this, is because we have had the same confusions over the past few years. When our fuel supplier offered the service to us a few years ago, it was a proper 'annual service' on all the gas appliances. Change of contractor and it became a 'gas safe check'. As you say, 10 minutes and the engineer had gone. Wasn't impressed at all.

The niggling part, was the contractor engineer visited recently, and about a month later the fan on the boiler started to give problems. Local recommended person did the repair, which cost £300.00. He offered to service the gas cooker, boiler and fire for £65.00, which we have accepted for the new year, as a slot-in job.

I did look at other options, and some interesting results were found.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

lotvic We are in the same boat. I have had one three way valve changed soon after the new boiler installation.

The system struggles to get up to any reasonable temperature which my old Potterton never did. I feel that the boiler is not getting the water up to the right temperature and so it is always trying to catch up.

A retired BG Engineer said that I was wrong to change but distaff was worried that we would have amassive failure on Christmas (Sorry FE) Eve.

Progress eh?

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Thanks all. I also was with BG but they kept putting the price up. I shall investigate their current deals and go back to them.

My current deal with SP:

Annual boiler service and safety check – carried out by our qualified engineers
Unlimited call outs – that’s a promise. No matter how often you need us, we’ll be there
24/7 emergency call centre –365 days a year
All work carried out by qualified Gas Safe Registered engineers – no more stress about trying to find someone reputable
Helpful energy efficiency advice – we’ll make sure your system is working at its best
Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Try again

Annual boiler service and safety check – carried out by our qualified engineers Unlimited call outs – that’s a promise. No matter how often you need us, we’ll be there 24/7 emergency call centre –365 days a year All work carried out by qualified Gas Safe Registered engineers – no more stress about trying to find someone reputable Helpful energy efficiency advice – we’ll make sure your system is working at its best

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I'm keeping my eye on 3 way valve as sometimes the rads go cold when hot water cylinder is hotting up. At the moment it's as if it can't cope with both or it's sticking. Can't be the pump again I hope (had new one last year) and a new switch thingy that sits on top of 3way valve. (can't just remember what that's called) Am also on my 2nd Magnaclean though I wasn't convinced it needed it (but it was free replacement so didn't argue)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert