We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Gas Boiler annual service

Graham*

Likes # 0

I have my boiler serviced once a year as part of a maintenance program with my fuel company. It took a few phone calls to get an appointment this year, new company taken over to do the contract had lost all the records, apparently.

When the man came, he 1)measured a pressure and 2)held a gas tester in the exhaust fumes. That was it. Total time 10 minutes.

I've now seen an ad for another company who offer new clients a free boiler service worth £99.99. I hope theirs takes longer than mine did.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

flycatcher1 and lotvic. Did you sign up for the extended warranty with Worcester-Bosch. This runs for 5 years and includes the annual gas chacke and service. It's good value.

Graham - "all work carried out by qualified gas safe registered engineers" - It has to be otherwise it would be illegal. It sounds to me that you ring a call centre who then contact a local gas engineer. You could do that yourself.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Woolwell, yes and I've got service agreement which includes all pipework etc to do with Central Heating, Lab & Parts and get priority call out because registered as vulnerable household.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

We have Vaillant combi, c.20 years old; Vaillant keep mailing us with service plans, but c.15 years ago when we arranged a service, their engineer suffered a bereavement (we think) and let us down. Obviously I had sympathy, but cover should have been available. Failing that, a phone call and re-schedule would have been nice.

Apart from one small persistent drip for the last 10 years (which we have a jug under), the boiler had been faultless, however, the significant other has always wanted it serviced and last year, having found a local company, I got it booked. Cost about £40 +VAT for an engineer to strip/test/reassemble and tell us to keep hold of it for as long as possible as "they don't make 'em like that anymore". Total time about 70 mins.

Obviously, finding a bona-fide firm you can trust is often the first massive hurdle.

My advice: Pick a medium sized local firm with about 5-15 engineers/fitters. Check http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk using your postcode to find your local companies (and individuals).

(The firms will often post photos of their engineers, however it can be a bit of a rogues gallery, so do not use a persons appearance as an evaluation tool ha ha).

If you choose to use your local small ads, check the http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk to see if they are registered. If they are not, they will probably use a "mate" who is registered to oversee or pass the work.

Get recommendations off your friends and neighbours - almost everybody will have used somebody at some time. Personally, I avoid BG due to their pricing structure, however they do do a good job, they are always available and you are almost guaranteed a fix within 24 hours. Either that or some yellow tape and a prohibition notice :)

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

I've spoken to Scottish Power, who in turn contacted City Tech, their contractor. They said if the gas and pressure checks are OK, they do not strip down the boiler.

I said that's not what I want for £16.90 a month, please cancel the contract. As soon as that is confirmed, I'm going back to British Gas.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"I am going back to British Gas"

I would suggest that you check what British Gas as to offer, because they seem to have many promotional offers on, at any one given time.

In the case of my recent boiler problem, British was and are offering boiler repairs 'from £79.00', but considering it cost me £300.00 (with invoices shown) from the recommended local chap, I wonder what their actual price would have been. According to a latest BBC Watchdog report, it was impressive.

But like everything in life nowadays, you might need to take chances, especially if funds are getting tight?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Whoops some errors in above post:

British.. should have been British Gas

According to the latest BBC Watchdog report, it was 'not' impressive.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

As FE has previously stated: It depends on the type and age of the boiler. Many modern boilers do not require to be stripped down annually.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

lotvic

If the "new switch thingy that sits on top of 3way valve" is a small silver or white box with a little lever and a cable it's the valve actuator - it has a small motor that rotates the valve spindle in response to signals from the boiler programmer.

You can operate the valve manually, using the lever on the actuator box, so try it to make sure the valve is not stuck. Make sure you don't leave the lever in its locked position when you have finished moving it. It should return freely when you release it.

If the rads go cold when the cold water cylinder is heating I can only think it's because the valve has been wired to give priority to the primary coil inside the cylinder, and it's closing the port that supplies the rest of primary heating circuit. For that to happen you would need to have a cylinder-mounted thermostat that signals to the valve when the cylinder is hot enough for the valve to close the port that supplies the cylinder coil and open the heating circuit - is that what appears to be happening? You can check by listening to the valve.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

lotvic

Perhaps adding onto what the FE as said, you might want to identify what that 'thingy' object is, by getting a Toolstation or Screwfix catalogue, which you can get from local outlets or online.

Both catalogues and company's carry a good range of plumbing and heating regular used parts.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

To save you the bother of getting catalogues, here's a whole raft of valves with actuators

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September