We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I have a theory regarding the effects of monitor radiation

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Guys

When I'm sitting in front of a PC or TV monitor, regardless of type, ie CRT - LCD - LED; if I don't use a filter my face goes bright red (like I've been sitting in the sun) my eyes feel dry and gritty and I get a blinding headache that lasts for days, while abstaining from any monitor contact!

When I had a CRT monitor, it was said that they gave out radiation. But new monitord wouldn't. So when I got an LED/LCD monitor, I believed those days were behind me, but I was wrong. Because nothing has changed, I'm still affected the same way. Yet no-one I know uses a screen filter, or gets the symptoms I do and yet filters are for sale everywhere on the Internet and they're not cheap either.

But everywhere I look they are saying..."Yes present day monitors do emit radiation, but it's harmless."

I have a theory and if it is correct, it's something that everyone should pay heed to. I've spent a good part of my life in and out of hospital, having operations and a multitude of xrays. Each time, prior to sending me for an xray, they ask...

"How long is it since your last xray"

...they never ask...

'How often do you spend in front of your PC or TV'!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

All of us are bombarded with radiation from all kinds of sources, 24 hours a day, and will be,all of our lives. We are exposed to it when we eat certain foods - nuts, bananas, red meat and potatoes all contain tiny traces of radiation.

We evolved to tolerate the amounts of radiation coming in from the sun, and from the planet itself. Nobody really knows how much we can tolerate without being harmed, and it's useless to speculate. The amount you get from sitting in front of a flat screen monitor is tiny - you'll get more from the back of it.

If you're experiencing discomfort when you sit in front of the screen, move it further back,get a different monitor, or use a filter. There's not much more to be said.

As far as hospital X-rays are concerned - the risk varies according to which part of you is exposed. An X-ray of your chest, teeth, arms or feet is the equivalent of a few days' worth of background radiation. That rises to the equivalent of few weeks if your neck or skull is involved, and for breasts,hips,spine, abdomen,or pelvis the exposure is equivalent to a few months or a year's worth of background exposure, depending on the precise location. The biggest equivalent exposure comes from a Barium meal - that equals a few years' worth.

By and large the risk from having an X-ray is far lower than the risk of not having one, and allowing a problem to go undetected.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

Graphicool1

You are unlucky enough to be particularly sensitive to that kind of radiation. Your symptons don't happen to everybody. I'm in front of a 21" HP L2208w for around 8 hours per day with no filter and no ill effects (apart from boredom, narcolepsy etc LoL)

I have a friend who (I believe) suffers from the radiation from flourescent tubes, as during his weeks abroad his symptoms clear up. His symptoms are worse than yours; he develops a very severe dry skin rash which is currently under it's umpteenth guess/treatment.

He too has tried CRT, LCD and various flavours of filters on both.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Thanks for your input FE. I've had many different monitors, all with the same effect. I've spoken to doctors and optometrists, but to no avail, they haven't heard the like from anyone else. They don't have any answers, they just scratch their heads and shrug their shoulders. Although speaking to them was pre my theory.

When people ask me to go and do work on their PC's I always take a filter. But even with the filter I stll get the red face, though not the headaches or dry eyes? All my days are spent indoors sitting in front of a monitor. Yet when the sun shines, even a minimal amount of exposure causes me to go brown. My wife and others are always saying, how come your so brown? But I have no answer, other than my theory.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"But I have no answer, other than my theory."

What is your theory? It's not clear from your opening post.

You go brown in the sun because you're exposed to ultra-violet radiation - it isn't the same as the radiation you get from a monitor,or from a hospital X-ray machine.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Phil Ocifer

Give your friend my regards and sympathy and tell him although it's not much comfort, at least he now knows he's not alone.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

The sunshine thing, may not have anything to do with radiation exposure persay. But neither might my face going red, however, my face going red could be a contributing factor of my face going brown so quickly, with minimal exposure to the sun. As your face usually goes red after a certain amount of time being exposed to the sun. But my face doesn't, it goes straight to brown.

"What is your theory? It's not clear from your opening post."

Regarding my theory, I'm not a scientist and further to this I never said it was definative. It is merely a theory I've gleaned from symptoms I get when exposed to a monitor. How I've arrived at this tentative conclusion, idea, thought etc. Is from when and how the symptoms arise.

As for what my theory is...

I believe that its a distinct possibility that the large amount of Xrays I've received down the years; added to sitting in front of a monitor for an average of 8 hours a day, 7 days a week; is a contributing factor of my symptoms.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Graphicool1, out of curiosity have you ever tried sunblock? You could just do one half of your face with it and then see what happens.... if it works I am not responsible for your striped face.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

A suitably sized (brown) stout paper bag worn over the head [with cut out holes for the eyes and mouth and ears], might be worth considering, also.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I believe that its a distinct possibility that the large amount of Xrays I've received down the years; added to sitting in front of a monitor for an average of 8 hours a day, 7 days a week; is a contributing factor of my symptoms."

Even if you had a chest X-ray every week for a year the amount of radiation exposure you would receive is tiny - certainly not enough to cause skin burning.

As for going brown without going red when exposed to sunlight, join the club. It happens to me, and to millions of other people. It has to do with skin type,and the amount of melanin pigment produced in your skin. Melanin protects your body from excessive solar radiation. As your skin is exposed more melanin is released, and your skin darkens. Some people have more than others, and they tan more rapidly without burning.

As I said earlier, there's not much you can do about your red face, other than to position your monitor further back, or use a filter. I sit in front of a monitor for long periods, and have done so for years without any apparent ill-effects. I've had a good few X-rays over time, and in the past few months I've had several because of a foot injury. My wife has spent her working life in the medical profession, and she says she has never encountered a single case of radiation burns due to hospital X-ray over-exposure.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...