We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Caught drink diving? loser your car? Or not!!!

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I have no doubt we have all seen this years anti drink driving message on the TV which has towards the end "you can lose your car", What the message does not say is that really depends on how much the car costs.

Surely a car is even more of a lethal weapon when being driven by a driver under the influence of alcohol, I fail to see that a car costing 25,000 grand is any less of a danger that say a £300 Nissan Micra.

Article.

Glad to see we are all treated equally under the law.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

4 times over the required limit.They should have taken the car of him.

Four times over the limit would make it difficult walking never mind driving.

I think if you get caught driving under the influence of drink or drugs twice you should loose your license for good.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

So what do they do if , as in my case I drive a company car ?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's time we had more frequent roadside sobriety checks. It's the perception that your much more likely to get away with than not that has what's perceived as sensible people taking the risk.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

The car should obviously have been taken from him. Given to some charity or a deserving individual (such as me maybe). Seriously I am thinking of the type of motoring school which teaches people how to handle powerful cars. Or where youngsters are taught to drive properly before venturing on to the roads.

The law should be changed to take in to account the value of such a car, maybe a maximum fine should be imposed instead.

Letting a drunk drive a car is akin to giving a matelot a gun. But if this man had killed somebody whilst he was drink driving, they probably would have taken his car. Judges are a fickle lot.

I must say I preferred QR's &AI's, where if you were found guilty of an offence you received the already laid down punishment. So the judge would just find him guilty and have no say in deciding the punishment.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

So what do they do if , as in my case I drive a company car ?

Really do not understand the point of your question. It would not be your car as your company would own it , hence "company car".

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

Drink/drug driving, driving without a licence,tax,insurance, mot or using a mobile phone the owner and driver of the vehicle, unless it has been stolen,should be made to watch the vehicle being destroyed regardless of its value.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Relatively speaking: The loss of a Ferrari, to a millionaire, is probably a smaller fine than the loss of a Hot Hatch to a Boy Racer.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

fourm member

There is a central principle of our justice system that says everyone is equal before the law.

What planet do you live on? The more money you have the better the law treats you for the simple fact that you can afford the best lawyers/barristers.

This central principle that you speak might well exist but equality in law has never existed.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

".... the driver has got away with no financial penalty."

Not strictly true.

There will be astronomical costs in the years to come: starting with medical tests demanded by DVLA followed by many years of inflated insurance premiums!

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

'The more money you have the better the law treats you'

Not true!

What fourm member said was correct. Laws are enacted by government and applied equally to everyone. The fact that someone has a lot of money and can afford representation to prove that their client didn't commit a crime has nothing to do with the actual law itself.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...