We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Caught drink diving? loser your car? Or not!!!

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I have no doubt we have all seen this years anti drink driving message on the TV which has towards the end "you can lose your car", What the message does not say is that really depends on how much the car costs.

Surely a car is even more of a lethal weapon when being driven by a driver under the influence of alcohol, I fail to see that a car costing 25,000 grand is any less of a danger that say a £300 Nissan Micra.

Article.

Glad to see we are all treated equally under the law.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Fear not,now there is a solution. You will have seen Guide dogs for the blind,Hearing dogs for the deaf,now for the Rat Arsed we have.......roll over here

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Grey Goo, that's nothing new, when I first learnt to drive I was a bit of a lurcher ;o}

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Brumas Did you drive a Rover

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I think the loss of a driving licence for life would be the best penalty, likewise a similar penalty for being found guilty of using drugs in sport.

To be caught driving at a later date whether under the influence or not a heavy prison sentence would be justified. Any one who has been convicted of drink driving probably has a drink problem

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

In some respects the "emotional" impact of having ones 'status symbol' removed has a greater impact than a paltry fine so i would say yes to the question.

People know the law and willingly break it,so they should not complain about the consequences.

People whose driving licence is their livelihood and drive under the influence (drink or drugs) are too dumb to be trusted.

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

I have a brother who was knocked down by a drink driver. At 18 years old a promising footballer and a career on the cards was taken away from him. He suffered a massive head trauma and a double leg break. 20 years on he lives in a care home with epilepsy and one leg shorter than the other.

Taking a car away from a drink driver does not stop them driving another car whilst under the influence. I took the choice after my brothers accident I would not drive after consuming alcohol. It's a personal thing to me as I have seen the damage it can do. A former workmate of mine was a habitual drink driver got caught, was banned for 12 month and fined £250. After his ban was up he got caught again, strangely enough by the same traffic cop who caught him the first time, and was banned for 18 months and fined £750.

In the time before his second ban he had left a party and driven through the well manicured gardens of a friend who was hosting the party, then rolled the car. He went to his girlfriends house so the police could not collar him for that. Informing his car had been stolen the night before, he got away with it.

At his court appearance for his 2nd ban the judge stood up in the court and told him he was a mess, was a massive risk to society and told him he would like to jail him there and then but he had a 15 yr old daughter who lived with him so would ban him and impose a fine. He ended it with this though. "If you ever are before this bench again for a similar offence bear in mind when you put the key in the ignition, I will be taking a key out of a lock for at least 2 years for you" That was over 15 yrs ago and he has never ever driven since.

Maybe if they imposed a 6 month prison sentence immediately, and I mean a full 6 months it would discourage a lot more, but as long as there are cars and alcohol the problem will never go away.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Grey Goo, No, a greyhound coach ;o}]

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

A total ban on alcohol would be a good way to lower the incidents of traffic accidents and improve the overall health and well-being of everybody.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

Good luck with that. The americans tried it a while back with not much joy, but still, we should be able to learn from others mistakes ;-)

As for the cars themselves, perhaps they could be donated to the military for target practice. Bound to be cheaper than all those paper targets!

WTM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days