We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are you having a street party to congratulate the Royal couple?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

I saw a newspaper article that described the news as introducing a shaft of light as the year's golden glow was fading.

I'm sure that - like me - you're all too excited to think straight at the moment.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

John Bunyan - "The Mail paper version today had the first 14 pages devoted to this news." It certainly did which was why I started reading it from page 15. Even the Guardian was getting in on the act.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

The hospital got badly caught out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa5JQC8VNdw

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan

"whatever happened to medical confidentiality?"

Think about it for a moment, Katherine going into hospital is going to excite speculation, and within hours someone at the hospital would leak the details. It makes good sense for the Royal press office to issue a release, providing everyone with the bare facts.

"I wonder how long it will be before someone tries to take a picture of the girl in her hospital bed and flog it to the foreign tabloids?"

Hell will freeze over before that happens. There will be a Royal protection officer outside the door right around the clock, and an armed Police officer in the corridor - nobody gets as much as a mobile phone inside the room.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"nobody gets as much as a mobile phone inside the room."

Overtaken by events, I think!

A not very determined or skilful effort by a couple of Aussie DJs manage to get a report from inside the sickroom.

One winders what the really vicious professionals of the British press would do id they weren't keeping a low profile at the moment.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

So it looks like I was right to be concerned about medical confidentiality, in the light of the hospital giving out details to any tom, dick or harriet without confirming identities.

As for trying to get a picture, that was pure speculation. But I would never underestimate the depths the papparazzi would sink to to get a picture.

WTM

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan

Me and my big mouth, eh?

In truth the hospital is to blame for what the nurse did. She was tricked by two very unconvincing Australians who impersonated the Queen and Prince Charles on the phone. The hospital should have very strict rules in place anyway, and when a Royal patient is there they should expect additional pressure and be ready for it - nobody should just be put straight through to a duty nurse.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

"Overtaken by events, I think!"

How come? Nobody got a mobile phone into the room,or came anywhere near it. An outside call was put through to a duty nurse who thought she was speaking to the Queen and Prince Charles. Nobody got "a report from inside the sickroom." that's a case of you getting carried away.

The Australian reporters sounded unconvincing when heard with the benefit of hindsight, but a nurse was fooled,and if you think about it for a second you might understand why. We can all be wise after the event. It was a failing on the part of the hospital's management,and I imagine they're mortified,as they should be. The fact is, no great secrets were divulged, and no harm has been caused - it's an embarrassment, but let's not try to make more of it than that.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

To me, it was astonishing how low these two Aussies were prepared to go.

I really don't have too much time for the Royals, but on this occasion, I thought it was completely out of order to even attempt a con like that. You should never forget, Kate is a human being with feelings just like everyone else and in the circumstances, should expect to have her medical condition considered a private affair unless she chooses otherwise.

Social engineering, which is effectively what this trick was, has fooled a good deal more people than a duty nurse and on occasions, has cost a great deal of money to the companies concerned.

So let's not get carried away about how easily this poor woman was fooled. In her position, if you think the Queen is calling you, are you going to refuse?

Don't aim your criticism at the nurse, aim it at the low life's who perpetrated the con.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"aim it at the low life's who perpetrated the con."

To be fair to the low lives, it wasn't really a con as such.

It was a programme joke which went much further than they, or anyone else, would have expected.

I think they were as shocked as anyone that they got through so easily.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"I think they were as shocked as anyone that they got through so easily"

Don't be so sure, its been tried and tested before with success in high places, and no doubt it will in the future. After all, its down to human error or oversight, which all of us are capable of doing!.

I was in hospital recently, and had a number of telephone calls. Fortunately they were 'fielded' at the ward reception desk, and I was informed about them later.

With regards to the 'no mobiles', I wonder how many of the approved visitor's were frisked before they entered the room. Seeing how the Royal's conduct themselves nowadays, especially the two boys, then I would suspect it wouldn't bother them to much, but it might a 'jobsworth'. There's probably already photograph's been taken for the family album?.

But is it all that important in this time and age?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer