We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Got a new job at last

interzone55

Likes # 0

After 18 months of trying, I have a new job.

I've not been out of work thankfully (I've never been out of work, I'm one of the lucky ones), but since moving in with my girlfriend last March I've been driving a 130 mile round trip 3 days a week.

Well as of next February that will be no more, and my daily round trip will be 100 miles shorter.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

It's a 2008 Mini Cooper Diesel. The newer models are even more economical apparently.

My journey to & from work is mostly clear runs on the M61 & M6, for most of the time I'm cruising at around 80-85mph, so I'm stunned that I get as good mileage as I do. The trip computer says 59.8mpg average, and that pretty much matches what I calculate from the fuel pump & odometer.

I usually turn off the stop start feature, as it gets a bit annoying if I'm in a traffic jam.

I do like the VW Up! and its variants, and am tempted by the Skoda Citygo when the time comes

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"most of the time I'm cruising at around 80-85mph"

Naughty, naughty!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

alan14

Congratulations on getting something nearer to home, and it makes life very much better for you and your girlfriend in the forthcoming seasons.

I often wonder the stress people go through nowadays,before they even get to work, especially when their work pattern involved the daily 'commuter belt' of possibly a train or car journey of 100 miles each way or more for most of the week. But then again, I knew someone who use to get a daily flight to and back from the East Midlands and Belfast on a daily basis for many months. Glad that I am retired and classed as reasonably comfortable now. Even catching a bus into town, an half hour journey, puts a drain on my system nowadays. Must be an age thing :o)

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

I'll consider my wrists slapped

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

spuds

Thanks

Most of the year my commute is reasonably stress free, the first 50 miles of my journey into work are on free flowing motorways, but as soon as I get near the M60 it grinds to a halt, and this morning the last 5 miles of the M61 was pretty much a car park.

It's the winter months that are the worst, I find it very tiring driving on unlit motorway, and there's generally more accidents in winter as well.

Anyway, once I've worked my notice here I'll hopefully find life a little easier and less stressful. Roll on February...

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I travel 15 miles each way to work, but only about 3 miles as the crow flies but there is a little thing of Portsmouth harbour in the way and as I work until 1:15 in the morning and the last ferry is midnight I don't have a lot of choice.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Strawballs. If that's the Portsmouth to Gosport ferry you are talking about it awakes some good memories for me.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Well done and good luck

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

You should aim to cruise at 50-55mph.

It's far more fuel efficient. Less wear and tear on the vehicle. Safer too. And it also makes your ETA far more predictable.

WTM

BTW, congrats on the new job. Lets hope the grass really is greener on the other side of the fence!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan

65 miles to work, with 5 miles of it taking on average 30 minutes due to congestion at the M61/M60 interchange, so my journey takes long enough as it is without adding 50% on the travelling time with reduced speed.

When I start my new job I will be driving at 45-50mph on the A6

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia