We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Got a new job at last

interzone55

Likes # 0

After 18 months of trying, I have a new job.

I've not been out of work thankfully (I've never been out of work, I'm one of the lucky ones), but since moving in with my girlfriend last March I've been driving a 130 mile round trip 3 days a week.

Well as of next February that will be no more, and my daily round trip will be 100 miles shorter.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Congratulations!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

You've still got a long way to go (driving/commuting), but perhaps you will be able to use public transport to get to and from your new job? Good Luck.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

My car does 60mpg on the motorway, probably more like 70mpg on the 50mph road I'll be using. So it'll cost me less in fuel, and be much, much quicker than using the bus. Especially as I live about 1.5 miles from the nearest bus stop.

My new job is on the way to my partner's job, so we'll be able to car share 3 days a week, saving even more money

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

alan14

Well done!! I'd hate to think I was starting out on a work career these days. In my early days it was really easy to say "Don't like this job", pack it in and move on. Even left one job for another, didn't like the new one so went back to my old one!!

Hope it all works out for you and you have a long and happy career.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"You've still got a long way to go (driving/commuting),"

"perhaps you will be able to use public transport"

Thirty miles a day, fifteen each way?

There speaks someone who lives in a major conurbation!

My nearest railway station is further away than that, and to get even that far on a bus involves at least one change!

Congrats on the new job, more time, less stress.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

It is really nice to get some good news on the Forum.

Just in time for, well, you know what.................!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

flycatcher1

You can say the word if you want to - Christmas mentions are legal after 25th November.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Congratulations alan14.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

alan14. Yes congratulations also. And may you and your lady friend have many more Happy Christmasses to come.

Sounds like good mileage from that car of yours. What make and model is it? I've got a little VW up! and that is doing about sixty to the gallon at the moment on all sorts of different routes. I imagine if I could get on a motorway at night and stick at fifty mph, I could up the average to maybe seventy.

Anyway Good Luck in the new job...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia