We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Smart phones, gimmick or necessity?

Blackhat

Likes # 0

I do not understand the craze of the need for a smart phone.

I have a basic mobile phone with which I make & receive calls & text messages. It has other functions that I do not use. I am not fully aware of all that smart phones can do but are we being duped into thinking that we must have the latest technology even if we do not need it? These things must cost more than a basic phone and I imagine most of what they offer is available on your PC, laptop or digital camera which most people possess.

Can anyone really justify the absolute necessity for such a device? A few years ago we managed quite well with just calls & text.

If you have a smart phone can you tell me what benefit it gives you and does it justify the cost?

Like this post
SeiyaIkki

Likes # 0

It's true that we could live without many technologies, but I personally think that it is a bit different with smartphones... every time I see someone using a smartphone, they're minding their own business, not even acknowledging people around them... playing games, watching movies, checking email messages, etc.... I mean, I'm not saying you can't do it, but social interaction is a good thing...

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

'they're minding their own business'

That's a good idea;-)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"social interaction is a good thing..."

It is, and that's exactly what you're doing when you send texts and check emails.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy an iPhone 6 (or any smartphone) on contract: Get the latest tech and save...

IDG UK Sites

Corel Painter 2015 review

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK