We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Smart phones, gimmick or necessity?

Blackhat

Likes # 0

I do not understand the craze of the need for a smart phone.

I have a basic mobile phone with which I make & receive calls & text messages. It has other functions that I do not use. I am not fully aware of all that smart phones can do but are we being duped into thinking that we must have the latest technology even if we do not need it? These things must cost more than a basic phone and I imagine most of what they offer is available on your PC, laptop or digital camera which most people possess.

Can anyone really justify the absolute necessity for such a device? A few years ago we managed quite well with just calls & text.

If you have a smart phone can you tell me what benefit it gives you and does it justify the cost?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"People still managed to have enjoyable lives then "

Speak for yourself.

I was pretty miserable (still am for that matter!).

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

We know!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As FE says you will not stop change, But on the Question posed above, I would say that it all depends on your needs, If I was a Rep I would think it was best thing since sliced bread, but as a pensioner then my needs are different, as to the above about kids and smart phones I have seen them walking side by side sending text messages to one another, all they see them as are toys.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"....all they see them as are toys"

I think people see smartphones as really useful communication devices. The current generation of young people has grown up with mobile telephony, to them it's as natural a part of life as colour TV and digital photography - it's always been there as far as they are concerned.

My children (particularly my daughters), send text messages every day as a matter of routine, and use their smartphones to navigate their way around, book cinema tickets, shop online, manage appointments.... and make calls. None of them uses a landline, other than for a broadband connection.

These phones are not used as toys, they're an integral part of the lives of millions of people.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Just like motor cars, yet like many of my contemporaries we managed perfectly well without them.

That doesn't mean I would like to be without one now though!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Managing without something is OK until you realise that you're in a minority. Then you get that teeny tiny inkling that perhaps,just perhaps you might be missing out on something.

We've all heard people say 'I didn't have an XYZ for years, but now I've got one I wonder how I ever managed without it'.

That must certainly be true of broadband connections - who would want to revert to the whistling and pinging of a 56k dial-up connection? Then there's the video recorder - how many people would want to do without that, once they've tasted the delights of time-shifting TV output?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I guess I'm a Luddite, FE.

...still use dial-up and videotapes ... but, I'm happy.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

It's not really a question of being a Luddite - technology is there to be enjoyed, but not everyone wants (or can afford) to indulge in everything that comes over the hill. You seem pretty positive about the technology you have, and that's what matters most.

I watch my neighbours busily blowing the leaves from their lawns and driveways, and I know they wonder why I don't buy a blower and join in. I can't be bothered, is the answer, and somehow I get by. Not all that glisters is gold.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

This morning, I saw a council worker using a hot-air-blower attempting to melt some ice on a public pathway that is always in the shade ... call me old-fashioned but some gravel or salt would have been a better solution.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I really didn't understand the fuss about "smartphones" until I'd had one for a while, and realised just how many different jobs it was doing.

A few weeks ago I managed to get majorly lost in London, so I took out my phone, fired up the GPS and Google Maps and in less than a minute I had a route to where I wanted to be...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...