We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Smart phones, gimmick or necessity?

Blackhat

Likes # 0

I do not understand the craze of the need for a smart phone.

I have a basic mobile phone with which I make & receive calls & text messages. It has other functions that I do not use. I am not fully aware of all that smart phones can do but are we being duped into thinking that we must have the latest technology even if we do not need it? These things must cost more than a basic phone and I imagine most of what they offer is available on your PC, laptop or digital camera which most people possess.

Can anyone really justify the absolute necessity for such a device? A few years ago we managed quite well with just calls & text.

If you have a smart phone can you tell me what benefit it gives you and does it justify the cost?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I use to think the same, until I got an Android phone, now I really wouldn't want to go back.

Picture this, you're on holiday, you're burglar alarm goes off and will ring forever (well 20 minutes is the limit now for new installed alarms in built up areas), because everyone will ignore it.

My alarm will send me an email, which I pick up on my phone. The from my phone I can then log into my CCTV system and check the house, see if there's nothing amiss and reset the alarm. If there is a problem I can phone the police and conform that the alarm is genuine, and because it's a confirmed alarm activation they'll send someone round straight away.

Now that's truly a smart phone...

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

alan14 sorry your dreaming if you think they will send someone straight away I've stood at my window describing to them how some obe is breaking nito the of licence opposite me and by the time they have arrived the burglars are long gone, somae for a fight

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Kevscar1

Not dreaming, if an intruder alarm and CCTV system is monitored, and the alarm is confirmed, the police will be despatched straight away - it's a requirement of BS4737 and BS8418:

The police response to their activation will be based on the assumption that an offence is taking place, but against the background of competing urgent calls and available resources. Such a response will also be conditional upon the number of false activations in any 12 month period, in which case the activation may receive a lower priority police attendance.

The fact that there is live, monitored CCTV to confirm the alarm reduces the chance of false alarms.

So sorry to dash your belief that the whole world has gone to hell in a hand cart, because sometimes things just work.

Mind you, I don't live in a town or city, things may be different in your area.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i find my galaxys3 handy for internet when sitting around stores while the wife looks at clothing, camera very handy too, also decent size keyboard hated prev phones with child size keyboards, also alarm function used a lot too.

not into social media bits.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Probably not a true necessity, but i find it both extremely useful in numerous ways, and i also get enjoyment from it. In fact watching TV in bed and typing this at the same time, very convenient.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

alan14 - As I understand it you do not need cctv for police response just the monitored alarm system with more than one sensor (could be the operator at the alarm centre being able to hear an intruder).

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

15 years ago you would be asking the same of ordinary mobiles, do we need them we managed quite well before them! BTW I only have a £12 basic Samsung that will only make calls and Text as I don't need a smart phone but if my circumstances changed I would not have a problem getting one!

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Alan14 let me know their response time when it happens

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Nobody 'needs' a smartphone in order to lead a happy and fulfilled life, but then nobody 'needs' a washing machine/dishwasher/colour TV/broadband connection/microwave oven/digital camera, and all the other technological devices that enrich our lives, and remove some of the drudgery on a day to day basis.

Having these things is pleasant, just as having central heating is pleasant, although plenty of people can remember the days when nobody had it, and there was ice on the inside of the bedroom window in the winter mornings. People still managed to have enjoyable lives then - everything is relative.

Technology advances all the time, and it isn't going to stop, in fact the rate of advance is speeding up. Anyone who watched the recent retrospective by David Attenborough might have been fascinated - as I was - to learn that when he first started working in Television the concept of plate tectonics (movement of the continents) was unheard of, and on his first trip to film birds of paradise the cameraman was using a clockwork film camera. In one working lifetime he has seen filming technology go from that to high-definition digital cameras that can follow underground animals into their nests, and satellite tracking devices that fit on a small bird's back.

Smartphones are very smart indeed, but they'll get a lot smarter before long.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"...and there was ice on the inside of the bedroom window in the winter mornings"

Ah, the good old days. I remember well when as a 6 year I'd get out from under a heavy pile of wool blankets and kick the family boxer out from under there too before I got into trouble for allowing her in my bed, writing my name on the inside of the frosted windows and looking at the crazed ice paterns before the suns rays crept over the ice and caused a puddle that ran from the window sill and down the peeling wallpaper as it melted...

We were hardier then than this soft lot of today:)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)