We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Smart phones, gimmick or necessity?

Blackhat

Likes # 0

I do not understand the craze of the need for a smart phone.

I have a basic mobile phone with which I make & receive calls & text messages. It has other functions that I do not use. I am not fully aware of all that smart phones can do but are we being duped into thinking that we must have the latest technology even if we do not need it? These things must cost more than a basic phone and I imagine most of what they offer is available on your PC, laptop or digital camera which most people possess.

Can anyone really justify the absolute necessity for such a device? A few years ago we managed quite well with just calls & text.

If you have a smart phone can you tell me what benefit it gives you and does it justify the cost?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

If I were 16+ there would be no arguement, a smartphone is social necessity.

However, not just any old smartphone, but the latest model, that is de-rigeur.

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

wee eddie

By social necessity I take it that you mean Facebook, Twitter etc. What has happened to meeting up with your mates and chatting? Kids these days can live their social lives from their bedroom, is that a good or a bad thing?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Sorry but 5 years ago I would have agreed with every sentence but not now, I have got more and more used to relying on a smart phone it's now a necessity and not a gimmick.

I can use the internet while out side away from home, camera and video mean that I can look at a horse and send info back to a third party to get a second opinion in a matter of minutes.

I like my phone, it's a Samsung galaxy S3 and I don't have to wear glasses to see the thing and make out text on it, it's got a proper keyboard instead of having to press a button 3 times to get the letter I want.

The thing is if you don't have one then you don't realise that you need one.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I look at a smart phone as my PC away from home. It does virtually everything it can do but is small enough to carry in my pocket.

Most obvious use is emails when away from home. Satnav is very useful for finding your way on foot in a large city at home or abroad.

Camera is very useful especially when some prat drives into your parked car!

The list is endless and you can even make phone calls on it!!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"gimmick or necessity?"

Both, if you want one get one, if you don't, don't

You might as well ask if a TV remote is a gimmick or necessity. A TV will work without one, in a fashion.

But could you go back to getting up from your seat to change channels and then trying to replicate the exact comfortable position you were lying in when you get back...?

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

I wouldn't voluntarily go back to a 'basic' phone now. I tried using a 'basic' phone a couple of weeks ago, but ended up putting the SIM into my own smartphone. The ergonomics and capability of the old style phones just seem outdated to me now.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

The question was, is it a necessity?

Unquestionably, the answer is no. You wouldn't come to any harm without one.

Whether it's desirable, is a totally different question. Personally, I get along fine without one and pay a fraction in charges, compared to many others.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have a smartphone and have had one for several years. I used to have a mobile, palm M105, and compact digital camera. Now I have one device. I don't carry a paper diary and the ability to sync calendar, view through Google someone's else calendar, update contacts and access emails and internet on the move I find very useful. You are "duped" into buying something if you don't need or use many of its features. I use most of mine on a regular basis. I don't play games on it. I also have an ipad which serves a different function.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I've never used a smartphone [to it's full potential], but several of my friends, apparently, are very happy to pay the hefty fees for the 'smartness' which is bestowed upon the owner of such a device ... and I suppose that's what feeds the remarkable sales' growth of these innovative 'baubles'.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I don't need a smart phone but I di need a phone.

I also need a PIM.

I therefore combine the btwo

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite