We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why isn't this headline news

carver

Likes # 0

(try again)

I have just seen this enter link description here and wondered why it isn't headline news, I was under the impression that global warming was the biggest threat to our way of living and as such every bit of news to tell us we are doomed is top news.

Now one of the satellites that is supposed to confirm we are doomed unless we all start walking and pay vast amounts of green tax to save the planet doesn't seem to agree with the experts.

Suppose it will be dismissed as a blip in the data

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

carver:

The Telegraph

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Doha

O Tempora O Mores

I can remember taking part in offensive operations in Doha about half a century ago.

The climate was pretty hot then as I recall!

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

The early atmosphere was rich with CO2 and the Global climate was warmer than now. The CO2 was gradually reduced by plant life using it to construct their cells. Over millenia plants died and were buried to be replaced by other plants and trees and so it went on,the CO2 levels were reduced and the climate cooled a bit. Now we dig up the buried trees as coal and gas and replace the CO2 in the atmosphere. It would not be unreasonable to expect the climate to warm up as the CO2 levels increase. However it may not be a big concern as the Mayan calender gives us about 3 weeks to live. Also the Norse vision of the Universe is of everything encompassed within a large Ash tree. Now Ash dieback has arisen which spookily started in Denmark. Should I order a Turkey I wonder.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I can't understand people who try to argue that the planet isn't warming, when the evidence that it is indeed doing just that is there for all to see. Sea levels are rising, and that is because the planet is warming. It may not be happening as rapidly as some people say, but that's not the important thing - it is happening.

All the arguing and posturing in the world isn't going to alter the fact that we're in a period of climate change. The arguments can centre around what the causes are, but nobody in their right mind can deny that we are experiencing climate change, and with it a rise in sea levels.

The stupid argument that it's all a ruse by politicians to justify extra taxes is just that - a very stupid argument. Over the past few years we have seen the effects of climate change in our own country - flooding on an unprecedented scale.

We simply don't know enough about how our planet works to be able to make accurate predictions about the future. We know for a fact that there have been many previous warming periods, and as I said earlier, one of them that lasted 500 years raised sea levels by 20 metres. We have no idea what caused that particular warming, but we would certainly have known all about a 20 metre sea level rise, had we been living 14,000 years ago.

What has happened in the past can happen again, and rather than waste time with silly arguments about which scientists are getting what right we might do better to work on what we're going to do to deal with the consequences these changes might bring.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I doubt that people are saying the planet isn't warming, what is in doubt is the major cause.

Yes, man may well be having an effect, but what is the proportion of that effect over natural causes? A volcano pumps out millions of cubic feet of various gasses and the earth's orbit and angle vary.

Given the known history of the earth, we are aware of several periods of both warmth and cold. Even recently the Thames froze and Romans grew grapes near Hadrian's wall. Is it likely that man alone will cause similar effects to those cited as having occurred 14,000 years ago. I somehow doubt it. Man's actions may play a tiny part in the overall scheme of things, but the natural forces at play are far more potent.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I was listening to Today, this morning, on Radio 4, when a little out-of-the-ordinary 'snippet' from the usually desk-bound-presenter Evan Davies ... he was reporting back to HQ 'bout his experiences in downtown Monrovia [it's the capital city of Liberia, in Africa], got me a-thinkin'.

It is a fact, that the very poor Liberian people that Evan encountered on his travels,are able to exist without any electricity 'cos there is none!

Therefore,Global Warming or what-ever-you-want-to-call-it, will never make the headlines in the poorer places on planet Earth.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Aitchbee "Global Warming or what-ever-you-want-to-call-it" will certainly make headlines in the poorer countries when they will be either underwater (eg Bangladesh coast) or suffering drought or food starvation.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

It doesn't matter whether it is called climate change or global warming, the earth's climate and therefore it's temperature has been rising for the last 20-30000 years.

No doubt it was the invention of fire by ancient man that started it all!!!!!!!!!!!

There has been periods of cooling periods certainly in the northern hemisphere particularly in the 14th and 18th.centuries.

I personally think a lot of the doom and gloom is hype by people with vested interests both scientists and big business.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Woolwell, these natural disasters / events you outline are unfortunately all too common occurences in these far-off God-forsaken lands ... already.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"these far-off God-forsaken lands "

Just remember that in California (or even in leafy Sussex) Scotland is a far off God forsaken land.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015