We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why isn't this headline news

carver

Likes # 0

(try again)

I have just seen this enter link description here and wondered why it isn't headline news, I was under the impression that global warming was the biggest threat to our way of living and as such every bit of news to tell us we are doomed is top news.

Now one of the satellites that is supposed to confirm we are doomed unless we all start walking and pay vast amounts of green tax to save the planet doesn't seem to agree with the experts.

Suppose it will be dismissed as a blip in the data

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I'm firmly of the opinion: Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die"

Fortunately there are those who adopt a slightly more responsible approach - especially those whose children and grandchildren will probably bear the brunt of the consequences of global warming.

We may not be able to arrest the process, but that doesn't mean we should just sit back and "Eat, drink, and be merry". We've changed the planet's ecosystems to suit ourselves, and we can (at least partially) reverse the damage we've done if we want to. It's all about having the will to act, but of course it isn't going to happen if the 'nothing we can do, so why bother?' attitude prevails.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Lets procrastinate and leave it to after Christmas.

Or maybe that's the problem...

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Surely the whole route of the problem is based on pure greed?.

We have various camps telling the public what must happen, or is going to happen, and not be greedy or selfish in the way people run their lives and that of others. Then at the same time we have governments who are impressing on people how they are saving the world, yet at the same time doing things that appear to be in total contradiction of what they say,do or mean.

And this shows no more, when finance and power comes into the equation.

How much natural 'air filteration' systems have been lost over the years for financial reward, and what have governments done about that. Did they stop it or encourage it, and the finance market as had the biggest say and stake in this decision.

I recall the days of the 'pea-soupers', when coal fires were blamed. We closed down many coalfields, at the cost of employment. Yet what as been its replacement, oil and yet another global warning!.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

There's a lot of old city character in those pictures fm.

I was 6 50 years ago, born and living in Beckenham until '64 and I can remember those smogs still.

We used to get sent home from school at about 2pm if one was coming down. Once two of my older sisters had to stand with torches at the gateposts so my dad could see where to go between to get the car off the road, in those days a policeman would knock at the door and require you to switch your parking lights on if you parked on the road in a smog. And I remember those oil burning Aladin lamps (No11) well, they were placed at traffic junctions to indicate that you were about to join a major road.

Ah, the good old days...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"...a policeman would knock at the door and require you to switch your parking lights on if you parked on the road in a smog."

A friend of my father used to tell a story about how, just after the Second World War he was driving home in a smog so dense that he couldn't see further than the front of his car. He crawled slowly along, following the dim glow from the tail lights of the car in front. They kept stopping at junctions, and in queues of traffic.

One stop went on for so long that he got out of the car to investigate. He discovered that he was sitting behind an empty car; the driver in front had arrived home, and had parked his car in the street with the tail lights still on.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...