We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why isn't this headline news

carver

Likes # 0

(try again)

I have just seen this enter link description here and wondered why it isn't headline news, I was under the impression that global warming was the biggest threat to our way of living and as such every bit of news to tell us we are doomed is top news.

Now one of the satellites that is supposed to confirm we are doomed unless we all start walking and pay vast amounts of green tax to save the planet doesn't seem to agree with the experts.

Suppose it will be dismissed as a blip in the data

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

fourm member & Forum Editor

A pity neither of you bothered to read my post prior to venting your spleens and making claims about what I purportedly said.

1. I agreed with the statement made that man had been polluting for some time, but question the proportion he is responsible for.

2. I pointed out the earth also 'pollutes' in various ways - although the term 'pollution' is more likely to be subject of the life forms present in the atmosphere we would consider polluted. I also indicated some ways in which the pollution may be produced. I also pointed out that other natural hazards are present which may also affect us dramatically.

3. Given the earth's atmospheric content has varied over time and been changed by conditions in climate and the life forms present, I see little reason for it not to do so again. This may involve the extinction of some life forms (which may include man) and evolution of other species as in the past.

4. Given that we do not know what proportion of 'pollution' we are responsible for and what, if any, effect it would have if we were to reduce this or eliminate it completely, it is pointless making arguments or predictions that are not quantifiable. The arguments put forward in many cases appear to have strong political content rather than purely scientific.

5. Much pseudo information is and has been placed in the public domain by various parties, for reasons they know best. Some of this information has been used to convince people falsely of wants and needs of various parties, groups and/or individuals. In the subject (climate) case it has been recognised that some information has already been manipulated to support the view of a specific type - this was revealed in the press a short while ago. As a result of being unwilling to allow myself to be influenced by any data skewed to represent any point, I believe it to be essential to quantify and qualify data accurately. This causes me to leave other data to those more willing (gullible) to accept it.

6. It is not now or previously been my wish to "dictate our environmental policies". Such a suggestion or assertion by you is not only impertinent but offensive. I am simply stating my opinion based on comments made by you and information I am aware of in the public domain. If your censorship extends to an unwillingness to permit such freedom of expression I would find it a sad reflection not only on this site but yourself.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If pollution was not under some sort of control would we see worse scenes than those in 1952 London? (it persisted for 4/5 days, leading to the deaths of at least 4,000 people) the days of smog urgh

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

johndrew

What you actually said was: "For those that believe they are, then perhaps practical actions such as not using a car, flying or buying imported food may salve their consciences. But until quantified proportionate evidence of our impact on the environment is available I see little point in joining the doom mongers in forcing unquantified concerns forward to cause panic in the gullible."

Which makes it pretty clear that you see no point in taking steps to do anything about the problem unless you have a perfect set of data. Indeed, you went on to say "I believe it to be essential to quantify and qualify data accurately." which is stating the obvious - we all believe that, but lots of us live in the real world,and are sensible enough to understand that there will never be agreement between scientists.

We understand that it makes sense to take action now, rather than sitting around, waiting for those perfect data to arrive. There are those who do, and those who don't - it seems to me that you are one of the latter. Here we are, facing considerable problems,both now and in the future, and you're still going on on about "quantified proportionate evidence".

The planet's atmosphere has been damaged,and there are consequences to be addrerssed; it's no good saying 'It's not our fault, it's the volcanoes. Some life forms will become extinct, and others will evolve, so no worries, let's not do anything'.

As I said before, thank goodness your attitude isn't going to prevail - other people are at least making an effort to do something.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Nothing we achieve in reducing carbon emissions in this country will make a jot of difference in comparison to India, China and Brazil's current and predicted emissions.

Until they decide to cut their emissions I'm not going to worry to much about changing my light bulbs and driving my A5 less.

I'm firmly of the opinion: Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Surely everything that is within the earths boundaries stays within the earths boundaries. No matter how the bits and pieces, atoms and suchlike move around within those boundaries. The earth will still revolve on it's axis and the same bits and pieces will go around with it, forever changing. But surely where it travels through space must be forever different and also changing. Outside influences as well as our own sun must alter what is happening on the inside of our planet. So it will always be changing no matter what we try to do. In a few thousand/million years time our population if there are any of us left, will be moaning about climate change because it will be getting colder and the poles are extending and shortly Europe will be ice bound. So it is not worth worrying about as we cannot change it. We will just have to cope as best we can.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

As that bloke in "Dad's Army" always says "we're doomed".

Like this post
Algerian peter

Likes # 0

Flak999

"I'm firmly of the opinion: Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die"

Bing.alau

"we're doomed".

Got to agree with those 2 statements.

Like this post
Algerian peter

Likes # 0

Flak999

"I'm firmly of the opinion: Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die"

Bing.alau

"we're doomed".

Got to agree with those 2 statements.

Like this post
the.hick

Likes # 0

I recall a good story about rapid climate change is "The Sixth Winter", published 30-odd years ago, a sort of earlier version of "The Day after Tomorrow". Worth a read if you find a copy.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'm sure I just saw the four horsemen cresting the horizon...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow