We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why isn't this headline news

carver

Likes # 0

(try again)

I have just seen this enter link description here and wondered why it isn't headline news, I was under the impression that global warming was the biggest threat to our way of living and as such every bit of news to tell us we are doomed is top news.

Now one of the satellites that is supposed to confirm we are doomed unless we all start walking and pay vast amounts of green tax to save the planet doesn't seem to agree with the experts.

Suppose it will be dismissed as a blip in the data

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

No doubt I will be shot down as being stupid, when someone produces a whole mass of statistics of what some 'experts' say or state. But I generally find that what I am being 'told' one month, I am being 'told' something entirely different the next, and global warming is no different. So I suppose people like myself, have become accustomed to reading these events as no longer headline news.

I did notice that the conference or whatever is taking place in Doha and not some icecap or even Alaska!.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It isn't head line news because there are other more important stories and also because it is just one report which doesn't fit in with the other story about sea levels which states that they have actually risen faster than expected Independent.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"I did notice that the conference or whatever is taking place in Doha and not some icecap or even Alaska!."

You wouldn't get many takers for a jolly in Alaska. And since looking to see where Doha is, maybe they have a self interest in selling real estate if you believe that the desert will become a wetland paradise soon.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

That sea levels are rising is an indisputable fact. The reason is that polar ice is melting at an increased rate,even if the rate has been over-estimated, and the cause of that is a rise in the earth's average temperature. Melting ice isn't the only contributing factor; as water warms it expands, increasing in volume, and the combined effects of meltwater and expansion lead to rising levels.

What isn't clear is whether this is a normal, cyclical thing, or something that is occurring as a consequence of human action, or a combination of the two.

Sea levels have been gradually rising for about 20,000 years - since the last glacial maximum, and sea levels are now approximately 120 metres higher than they were then. There was a significant pulse around 14,000 years ago when sea levels rose by 20 metres in 500 years - a massive rate of rise.

At the moment all we know is that polar ice is melting faster than predicted, but there's disagreement about the rate of melt. Improved technologies may shed light on the effect, but there will undoubtedly be continued speculation about the causes.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

There was a significant pulse around 14,000 years ago when sea levels rose by 20 metres in 500 years - a massive rate of rise.

Not so many human beings, cars, 'planes, power stations, etc., around then. So what makes the experts think we can have any significant affect on what is happening now?

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

So what excuse can they come up with for the fact that during the ice age the polar caps were one hell of a lot bigger and no green house gases produced by man to blame then, the climate of this planet has always gone in cycles!!

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I see they don't call it "Global Warming" anymore because that stopped going up in 1998 according to the UN's own figures, so to keep the scare factor to justify the extra taxes they now call it "Climate Change"

Global Warming stalls

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Oh wise and wonderful fourm member so quick to cast aspersions on every one, so how about the latest e mails that suggest that the authors of global warming may just have spiced every thing up enter link description here to make their "studies" more entertaining.

Little extract.

they show the "scientists" at the heart of the Man-Made Global Warming industry in a most unflattering light. Michael Mann, Phil Jones, Ben Santer, Tom Wigley, Kevin Trenberth, Keith Briffa – all your favourite Climategate characters are here, once again caught red-handed in a series of emails exaggerating the extent of Anthropogenic Global Warming, while privately admitting to one another that the evidence is nowhere near as a strong as they'd like it to be.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Wrong link second try enter link description here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...