We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Flurry of spam - AA coincidence ??

Phil Ocifer
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just got a quote off the meerkat for house insurance yesterday and used the works email address. I took it as far as clicking on the AA quote.

Phoned the AA on the 0800 number provided and spoke to a nice chap who talked me through and saved me a good deal of moolah. He confirmed my HOME email address as we're already on their system They have been cheapest for us this year (this is not an advertisement).

Today I have received 22 spam emails, all with links at the bottom to unsubscribe, with all links resulting in the same unsubscribe layout with differing web addresses but all obviously from the same vendor.

I will be visiting my account with the AA and ensuring the relevent boxes are ticked. Be warned. Cheers, Phil.

Like this post
The AA

Likes # 1

Hello Phil Ocifer, If you would like to be removed from our marketing database please email the details including reference FOR27139 to chat@theaa.com, we can arrange for this to be stopped. Regards The AA

Like this post  
Nontek

Likes # 0

Hmm .... from The AA

seems a strange way for such a company to cover a business matter - via a Forum??

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

My apologies to the AA - I should have checked further first ... !

chat@theaa.com does exist - must be my suspicious mind!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Nontek - this isn't any old forum ... it's Speaker's Corner!

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

The problem isn't just with the AA.

I've been getting Phone calls and post from Optical Express extolling the virtues of their Lazer eye treatments despite me telling them that I'm definitely not interested, that I'm registered with TPS (they've phoned me twice despite this), and that I can't afford it. Apart from this they don't give any guarantees that you won't need glasses at a later date. In fact they actually say this in their literature.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

Well, thanks to "The AA " 05/12/12 07.18pm

Does anybody else think that looks a bit like an admission of guilt?

Luckily I'm not a vindictive person. Seeing as how it doesn't happen too often, it's not a problem with me for someone to make a mistake and forget to ask whether I wanted to receive "offers" from their carefully selected associates. A little inconvenient though I must admit.

However, I'm still reeling in disbelief that the AA can choose to be "associated" with some of the drossy companies I received emails from, some of them containing blatant untruths about how much PPI and other things I have been miss-sold, together with figures in £££s about how much I could expect to receive in compensation. I suppose they have just signed up with one bad company, considering the unsubscribe links were all so identical.

However, this sort of thing will confuse some of our elderly population who are so easily convinced and tempted by the promise of easy money? Much has been made of this type of "con trick" on various consumer programmes on TV, with elderly people often being duped out of thousands of ££££s.

Surely a respectable organisation like the AA should not be associated with this type of company? I shall document them tonight if I get time.

As for emailing chat@aa - thanks - I may do, but I have already "unsubscribed" to all these (ha ha) offers, and not received any significant amount of spam since then. It's a pity there isn't an opt out option on the AA website.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

As for the TPF - I'm registered with them but still receive the odd random call from double glazing, solar panels, etc companies who probably haven't signed up to the TPF CoP.

It should be noted that by expressing an interest in a product or service, for example, home or motor insurance even if it's just via compare or confused etc, they are then allowed to contact you.

Just by clicking the link to investigate that insurance deal in a little more detail,i.e. "Go to Insurers website" you have implied your interest and opened the door.

Happens to me every time, but it's only the insurer(s) I click on that contact me.

Cheers Any further comments welcome.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'