We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Flurry of spam - AA coincidence ??

Phil Ocifer
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just got a quote off the meerkat for house insurance yesterday and used the works email address. I took it as far as clicking on the AA quote.

Phoned the AA on the 0800 number provided and spoke to a nice chap who talked me through and saved me a good deal of moolah. He confirmed my HOME email address as we're already on their system They have been cheapest for us this year (this is not an advertisement).

Today I have received 22 spam emails, all with links at the bottom to unsubscribe, with all links resulting in the same unsubscribe layout with differing web addresses but all obviously from the same vendor.

I will be visiting my account with the AA and ensuring the relevent boxes are ticked. Be warned. Cheers, Phil.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Thanks Phil for the heads up - noted.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

I can't find the unsubscribe link, but found this :

As previously mentioned, Saga and AA do not sell, trade or rent your information, and will never disclose information about you to third parties, except to fulfil your specific orders for a product or information in the event that third parties deliver the relevant service.

I will give it another day to see whether I get the same crap, then I will probably contact them.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Just because they won't doesn't mean one of they employees doesn't wont

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

In my experience the AA quote on comparison sites is almost always the lowest. Not sure what that implies but what really annoyed me was that within half an hour of just looking at it they were on the phone trying to convince me to take up their quote. Its not an option not to put in a phone number on these sites and I'm afraid I now just invent one.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"In my experience the AA quote on comparison sites is almost always the lowest"

Yes, and in my experience, admittedly not recent, once the premium is paid they will come back and say they misquoted and asj for more.

I know of at least six people this happened to, including me.

Some of them actually paid up, which did not include me!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I gave up with the AA a number of years ago, when as a supposed loyal member, I was receiving quotes and special offers that offered even better terms, conditions and prices to new subscriber's.

After being a member in the AA for over thirty years with only 5 call-outs in that time, three of those were on the same day, for the same problem. I asked if it was possible to give a reward, loyalty bonus or even a quarter century scheme. The response was very abrupt, and on that I haven't bothered with the AA since.

One point regarding the above, I asked why it was that I was being quoted less by going direct to Swinton, and more for using the AA for the same Swinton cover. Apparently the higher quote was due to the better service the AA was providing?.

What annoys me the most, is some companies provide 'opt-in' boxes, when others provide 'opt-out' boxes, so it pays to make sure which type of option is being offered. The other thing that I have noticed, that is becoming more regular, is the 'demand' for your mobile number before they will allow you to register. This is another marketing idea, so that the company can send regular text's to your mobile.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

..the 'demand' for your mobile number before they will allow you to register.

I absolutely refuse to give out my mobile number to anyone other than my family and a few close friends. If I have to put in a number it will be my landline or nothing. If they insist on a number and I don't think its necessary they get a totally fictitious number. The other option is to go elsewhere.

If companies phone I remind them that my number is provided to enable problems to be resolved and that calling uninvited trying to sell me something is a breach of the TPS rules.

The TPS works fairly well for me but I do get calls from people saying that they are conducting a survey, as they obviously know that surveys are not covered by the TPS rules, and as far as I'm concerned they should be. Last week I had 3 calls from someone saying that they were doing a survey on behalf of Tesco's Clubcard, and despite being told on the first two occasions that I don't do phone surveys they still called a third time, when I told them that if it happened again I would be complaining to Tesco's Customer Services, often the best option, as I have found they then take notice and it often brings a voucher in compensation. I've had a fiver on a number of occasions.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

BT

If companies phone I remind them that my number is provided to enable problems to be resolved and that calling uninvited trying to sell me something is a breach of the TPS rules.

I don't think it is, it's only a breach of the rules for a company to contact you if they have no prior trading history with you. If you've purchased from or had a quote off the company then the TPS rules don't apply.

On the other hand, if you've ticked all the relevant contact boxes to tell the company that you don't want sales calls off them or "trusted third party companies" then Ofcom's rules come in to play.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

..the 'demand' for your mobile number before they will allow you to register.

Such a demand can easily be dealt with by using an old, unused PAYG number from a 'phone you no longer use. It saves no end of SMS spam messages from businesses that attempt to pummel you into submission and additional cost if you take your 'phone on holiday.

There could be a market for old PAYG SIMS for this purpose - I wonder if ......

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

Well, after a fairly intense session of "unsubscribing" from these darned annoying spams, I'm down to only one on Friday from clearyourbills.co.uk(who have an address in Michigan) and an unsubscribe link from opportunity-central.net.

Hopefully that should be it. If not, I'll let you know.

PS Couldn't find anything on the AA to unsubscribe. If they contact me again I will ensure it is mentioned on the "recorded conversation in order to improve the service" .

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad