We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Question about selling autograph books

interzone55

Likes # 0

We have been given some stuff to sell on eBay, and there's a few autograph books.

When we opened the first book, it fell open at the middle pages and across the left hand page is Jimmy Savile's signature.

Here's our dilemma, do we remove the page, do we sell the book intact and forget to mention his name is in there, or do we trade on the notoriety?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Bad publicity ... is good publicity. Keep it intact, is my advice.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I agree with Aitch.. Think what a book signed by Crippen would bring!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Selling autographs on eBay brings its experts, so it might pay to check on the going rates for genuine autographs.

I seem to recall a number of incidents that have occured through signatures be advertised and sold, and it was later found that they wasn't really the genuine stuff. Elvis and Beckham being two of many.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

fourm member

Some of the signatures are all but illegible, I'm sure that someone would recognise them, but many are just squiggles.

The Savile signature is pretty obvious though

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You're selling a book with signatures in it, you aren't providing any warranty that they are all genuine, and you certainly shouldn't even contemplate trading 'on the notoriety'.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

If you're selling on ebay then the market will determine the value, not your expectations.

Your only dilemma is in the item description, and I would advise a full and frank description.

WTM

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I would just mention it along with any others you can read, no need for long winded description. A search on ebay for the name and autograph reveals a few items already on there.

Maybe some of the other autographs are very desirable and the emphasis should be on those.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad