We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Does part time working boost the economy?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

On a point of curiosity what are your views on job-sharing or part-time working, and does it improve the economy and provide satisfaction for all involved, including those reliant or require those or any services given?.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It does if it gets people with families doing something for themselves and making a saving on the otherwise full time benefits bill.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Good point, but is it not possible to have certain jobs and working hours that still results in generous benefit payments?.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"generous benefit payments" which ones are those? certainly not generous for a single person on JSA living on their own.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I would guess that many 'over-qualified for the job they are doing' part-time workers would much rather have a full-time job ... but because of the 'austerity' & 'cut-backs'... will have to makedo with being 'UNDEREMPLOYED' ... it's better than being stuck on benefits, I suppose. (ie. if you are able-and-willing to take on ANY job that is on offer).

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

And possibly that is one of the drawbacks "(if you are able-and-willing to take on ANY job that is on offer)".

Low pay, lack of 'proper' working conditions etc soon spring to mind. Yesterday evening I was watching the Parliament program on Freeview, with the Select Committee discussion on the role of the DWP and Atos and Tribunal verdicts on appeals. Some very concerning information was coming from that investigation, especially as there are six review centres in locations around England, that cannot accommodate people requiring assistance due to certain disabilities. Other areas have review facilities on 'higher floor' buildings, so making the interview a daunting task if the lifts are not working. There was also the question of mental health, and it seemed that certain mental health issues were not being catered for, and most MP's have had this brought to their attention, by people seeking help at times of severe need.

But this is another subject, and perhaps not covered in this thread as to those already in part-time or job-sharing, and how it might effect the rest of us on a possible daily basis?.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

spuds - I totally agree and concur with your last post.

My point (which was not very well put across) was that people who are in PT work would much prefer to be in FT work ... but the latter option is ... not an option (if you see what I'm getting at) ie. not available, mainly due to the double-dip recession and this government's policies.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"people who are in PT work would much prefer to be in FT work"

That's nonsense - large numbers of people want to work part-time only, and for them a part-time job, or a job-sharing arrangement is ideal.

All work - whether full or part-time benefits the economy. People who work spend their earnings in the retail sector, and in other ways. It all benefits the economy, regardless of how the money was earned.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Part time wok is useful to mothers who need to work to help pay the bills but also need time to sort the children.

Some jobs are probably too mind numbing to be done full time anyway or even too stressful (I could never be a checkout operator part time never mind full time I would probably get sacked due to throttling some customers).

If your working your less likely to b drawing benefits and money cycles back into the economy.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Where i now work many of the staff are part time because they want to be - the overwhelming majority are women with school age children and part time allows them to balance their child care while bringing in necessary income.

I also work with part time employees who do so because that is all that is available and they would much rather be on full time and equally would rather earn their money than take benefit. They hope that a full time job will come along in due course.

Either way those people provide benefit to the economy and reduce the welfare budget.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE, it is not nonsense

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20526820

3 million people are all willing to work FT ... but cannot!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite