We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Millionaire uses own time and money to help the fire and rescue service

Strawballs

Likes # 0

This man gets a thumbs up from me

Click here

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

It's a nice idea and fair play to the guy for volunteering his own time and equipment, but this was tried on a more permanent basis by London Fire Brigade some years ago.

For various reasons it was not practical to use a helicopter at fire incidents (main reason was the down draft created by a helicopter actually made some fires worse!) It may be of more use out in the countryside where attendance times can suffer during extreme weather incidents.

Also the type of helicopter in the picture is not suitable for carrying a lot of personnel and heavy fire fighting or rescue equipment.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

The way I read it was that it is more intended to rescue in things like floods.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I imagine there are all kinds of insurance implications, but presumably these have been resolved.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

FE I can't see the Fire and Rescue service agreeing if that has not been resolved

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I guess that there are those that think he is wasting his money helping plebs?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I guess that there are those that think he is wasting his money helping plebs?"

Perhaps there are,but that's a fishing trip, and what's the point of it?

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

That's the thing with fishing you never know if you are going to get a bite or not.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

hopes to establish a Thunderbirds-style rescue network using private helicopter owners to assist fire services around the UK.

He has been flying helicopters for 30 years and has arranged a one-year trial with Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service.

What happens after the one year trial.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days