We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are you braced for more rain?

Graham*

Likes # 0

I've been bracing myself for rain since Friday, when I was advised to brace myself. I've been braced against the fridge for two days now. Will we be told when we can stop bracing?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I am fed up with rain, our local reservoir is full and the ground water the highest it's been for years and I am getting worried that our Bourne river might appear at any time - last seen above ground 12 years ago and it was up for seven weeks then.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

sunnystaines, now you tell me ;o{

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Road Drains are soak ways or feed into rivers or fields

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I think FE's right. In spite of the abundance of water now, before the last Easter egg is sold or removed from the shelves we will have a hosepipe ban in some part of the country.

I've heard there is going to be a big freeze up beginning this coming weekend. Just my luck when I have booked up a couple of days down in Plymouth. I suppose I had better get my snow shovel and a few blankets in the boot of the car, or maybe on the back seat even. Maybe I will chuck in a bottle of rum as well as a couple of loaves and a few fishes.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

woodchip - In most urban areas the road drains go into rainwater sewers. In my area these are supposed to have emergency outflows into streams etc but they are not working properly and instead they are mixing with sewage and are overflowing.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Bing.alau ... throw in a few tins of mackerel fillets (in sunflower oil) ...

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Fourm member

As someone smack bang in the middle of a white area I can tell you it is not good. Flooded neighbours, trees down, landslides, no trains and my daughter leaving home and unable to get into Exmouth, turning round to come home to find in the hour the village is cut off by flood water.

Hopefully the worst is behind us.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

That map doesn't give an entirely accurate picture. I live in a white zone but at 400 ft above sea level. We have surprisingly little wind damage with so far just a few branches down and fences flattened. Yet about 10 miles about 100 people had to be evacuated. I feel really sorry for those who have had sewage in their houses.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Bing.alau - just noticed that you are going to Plymouth. Do not attempt it by train yet as the main line has been washed away although it may be repaired by next weekend. Don't worry about snow but do bring waders. If it snows in South Devon and Plymouth then the place comes to a complete and utter halt.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Graham*, it's time you got a belt as well - bracing yourself is not enough.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen