We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are you braced for more rain?

Graham*

Likes # 0

I've been bracing myself for rain since Friday, when I was advised to brace myself. I've been braced against the fridge for two days now. Will we be told when we can stop bracing?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

just as well it is not cold or the rain would be snow and the country would grind to a halt.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Getting a bit concerned as a chap round the corner has started building a big boat!

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

I am not saying the rain here in North Northumberland is bad but I can't get out to nail the roof on the Ark I am building ;o}

Seriously, it has rained non-stop since yesterday morning and there are no signs of it abating. The burn at the bottom of our garden is about 12 inches higher, very discoloured and roaring past at a fair rate of knots. Whilst is only 4 or 5 feet wide and normally 12 inches deep I wouldn't attempt to cross it in its present state! The one good thing is that the flood waters will scour the bottom and take away all the natural rubbish which normally impedes the flow.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Let's look on the bright side - not long now to the first hosepipe ban.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Standing here, doing my impression of a drowned rat, I have to say it has risen by a good 24 inches and not the 12 inches I had previously thought!

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

What rain? What floods? Looking out of the window onto the River Nairn, the sun is shining and the river is very low. Oh! the awful Scottish weather.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I'm preparing for the predicted Big Freeze that is going to start from tomorrow and last for the next two weeks [at least], up here in Scotland.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

fourm member - you may not have had more than fairly heavy rain but in the South West we have had heavy rain with high winds. In Plymouth in 24 hours there was 72 mm of rain when the normal monthly average is 79 mm. The rivers are more than full and are overflowing. The rail line from Exeter is under water see BBC News Devon. There have been severe weather warnings in place which means that there is a potential for danger for life. That is more than fairly heavy rain!

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Here in Cornwall the situation is dire in many places. Never known such a constant deluge in all the many years we have lived here.

One very large bee I have in my bonnet concerns the lack of drain clearing done in this county which I believe has added to the flooding on many roads in town and country. The drains are choked up with the leaves that just previously lay several inches deep on many streets, including our own. I know this to be a fact on my road as it is awash in several areas and, when I looked into the 3 foot diameter main storm drain, it was nowhere full to capacity. I've notified the authorities but all I got from them this morning was "we will pass it on in due course, sir." I won't hold my breath on this, as they say, but I will take it further if no action is taken.

We've not seen the road sweeper lorry now for three years or more, whereas before it came regularly, especially when most leaves had dropped with the aid of autumn high winds.

I know the authorities have had to make financial cutbacks but I feel this is one very important service that should be reinstated immediately. It's just possible that some poor souls may have been saved from the misery of a flooded home. TC's got his dander up! :)

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

brumas remember fast water dangerous above knee height.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia