We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Does being a member of UKIP make you a racist?

hssutton

Likes # 0

Does being a member of UKIP make you a racist or support racist policies?

It would appear that certain people in my old home town would think so. Really pleased I left that area many years ago.

Telegraph Report

Like this post
michaelw

Likes # 0

"That's because you think that your personal view is the commonsense one. Lots of other people obviously disagreed with you."

It may have passed you by but we are in deep messy stuff because millions 'disagreed with me'. This country, if not the world, has been run by idiots for quite a while because we all placed our trust in the electorate to make the right choice/s.

They say we get what we deserve. Well, I hope your faith comes to fruition.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

michaelw

Nothing has 'passed me by'. I simply understand the way that a democracy works better than you appear to.

Your sweeping and arrogant statement that "This country, if not the world, has been run by idiots for quite a while because we all placed our trust in the electorate to make the right choice/s." Confirms my original assessment admirably - you believe that everyone who doesn't agree with your own opinion is an idiot.

We are in 'deep messy stuff' as you put it because of human greed, and not because your fellow citizens voted for a particular politician. It would have happened, whoever was in power. The catalyst that started the world's economies on the downward slide was greed, pure and simple. Banks encouraged people to borrow more than they could afford to pay, and the people blithely took what was on offer. Governments - of every hue - did the same thing, and we are where we are, blinking in the harsh light of reality.

I suggest that in future you pause for a moment's thought before exposing your lack of understanding in such a blatant fashion.

A democracy is based on the prevalence of the will of the majority; it's a system that beats all other options hands down.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

FE"A democracy is based on the prevalence of the will of the majority" So the majority voted the other day,for a commisioner, did they?

Back to the plot -

"I have immense faith in the innate commonsense of the British electorate" But they do not have infinite patience and if you can not see that there is trouble bubbling under the surface you do not know the public as well as you think.

Recent survey's seem to be showing MOST would vote to get out of Europe. If our Dave had thought otherwise - we would have had a referendum by now!

Most people I speak to think we already have too many people in the UK - Farage wants to slow this growth . We keep being told we do not have enough houses - lack of power - shortage of NHS capacity - could the 3,000,000 (three million) guests we have taken in over just a few years have anything to do with that? Quote"multiculturalism in Britain is fostering extremist ideology and directly contributing to home-grown Islamic terrorism."end - I wonder who said that! "Gordon Brown and Tony Blair should not have allowed uncontrolled immigration from new EU states in 2004."Miliband. Trevor Phillips, chairman of the Commission for Racial Equality has called for multiculturalism to be scrapped. Is multiculturalism a mosaic of cultures or a collection of ghetto's?Look at the ghetto's in London or any big city - are those places better/nicer/safer now than they were 2 or 3 decades ago?

We have a shortage of land - pay people to breed - invite the world and their family into our crowded land - give them a house/food/money/health care etc - and punish (tax) people who earn above £8k. Is it any wonder we can not get the deficit down to more manageable proportions.

I have not voted for UKIP BUT when you look at what he would like to do - it seems to fit in with a lot of what other high profile people are saying. One thing is for sure - we can not continue along the path Labour took and the Cons appear not to be able to change.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I wish someone would explain to me what a racist fundamentalist is, or what that represents.

Very recently most people may have heard about an incident that took place, when Clarissa Dickson Wright took a wrong road turning and became lost, then asked for re-route directions in a 'prominent' area in Leicester. She gave her views, not as a racists, but on the events that took place. Yet those comments have made possible world-wide news, to the point that certain people are 'in theory' asking for her head. I am very surprised that someone hasn't demanded a police investigation to the affair.

For those they do not know about the incident, it was basically that the people she asked the question, regarded her as an outsider, because of their own faith and believes, and possibly her being a female.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

woody

"So the majority voted the other day,for a commisioner, did they?"

You clearly don't understand how democracy works. People vote if they want to. By not voting they demonstrate either their lack of interest, or their lack of knowledge that a poll is being conducted. In this case I suspect it was a mixture of the two - the elections were not properly publicised in most cases, so lots of people had no idea what was happening.

Of those who did know, many were simply apathetic about the whole thing, so they didn't bother to turn out.

That's a democracy at work - the majority didn't feel strongly enough about the election to bother voting, as is everyone's right.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

That's a democracy at work - the majority didn't feel strongly enough about the election to bother voting, as is everyone's right.

WRONG - I was not allowed to vote against commissioner. I could have voted for some one I did not want - or I could stay at home and in "effect" voted for some one I did not want. Most of them got in with <5 percent eligible voters - >95 percent did not vote for them.

I have no doubt in your mind that is democracy.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

FE

I don't know about anywhere else, because I haven't bothered to check. But in the area I live, there were a number of positively identified 'spoilt votes', in the PCC and Mayor election, mainly because the often discussed tick box of 'none of the above' was not provided. People could only raise their objections by spoiling the vote paper, or not turning up at all, and looking at the voting stations attendances, was possibly an clear answer in itself.

If things are not explained fully,as they should be, or the prospective candidates are not acceptable, then a tick box might answer some of the governments, both local and national, concerns as to why some are not voting in rather expensive exercises.

My local council and especially some of the councillor member's are often talking about Democracy when trying to introduce things, or seemingly force issues, and in a number of cases, these comments opens a flood gate to peoples concerns in the local newspaper, that Democracy in its true form doesn't exists.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I've spoilt votes in the past by writing 'spoilt vote' across the ballot paper. It's obvious what you think, and in my mind you retain the right to complain about the result as you've done something positive, even if it's negative with your vote.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

FE -a deliberate attempt to misrepresent someone's views in the hope of fooling people

Try and keep to the facts - HE SAID IT.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Spoiling papers doesn't achieve anything positive. As far as I am aware no notice is taken of them. Voting against something is positive. The problem really lies with the poor turnouts at general elections. In many cases you get what you did not vote for.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...